Cold weather mixed with a 12" subwoofer. problems???

Silver Member
Username: Shutterleftopen

Columbus, Ohio United states

Post Number: 113
alright. well it's winter. i have a 12" MTX Thunder 8000 sub powered by a 200watt rms infinity sub. today i was driving. everything was sounding good. then i go home. stay there for an hour then head out again. i get nothing from my sub. i figured maybe something got unplugged or something. nothing. so i get home and open up my trunk. everything's good and hooked up. i push on the sub just a little and it starts going again. what could it be? could it maybe be the cold weather? it's not like it sounded blown like you had to push on the cone to feel the part that moves it. it's like you just push on it and it's works again. not like it needs to catch that thing inside.

i'm hoping it's just the cold weather. and this is the only time it's happened. so not like and every day thing. thanks for the help.

Silver Member
Username: Young_james

Canada

Post Number: 436
that sub is toast........mine done the same thing. I'm not sure what the rms is on the sub, but it sounds like you may have been underpowering it. When mine done that, I had it checked out and the only thing that it was good for was the garbage.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 437
I just searched up the sub and it's 400wrms, and you were giving it 200wrms. You probably sent the amp into clipping and toasted it.

Silver Member
Username: Shutterleftopen

Columbus, Ohio United states

Post Number: 114
but underpowering a sub can't hurt it

Anonymous

it prob was frozen and then u played it without breakin it in and the former broke off.....and yeah your sub is definitely toast

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 441
underpowering a sub won't hurt it, IF you do it right and don't get freaky with the gain. If you ask the amp to put out more power than it's capeable of, then you are causing it to clip. Therefore, your sub will burn out. This was what caused my sub to die and do the exact same as yours. Not sure if the cold had anything to do with it or not. It could have been something to do with it, but you never know.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us