HO ALT?

Silver Member
Username: Killer44

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 274
ok so im gunna be running a 12" RE SX off of a Soundstream PCA1000D, and a 100x2rms amp most likely a Phoenix Gold x100.2 to run my components, wiring will be 2awg, and i will be using a Clif Designs 5 farad cap (CD5CAP) and most likely a new battery(optima red/yellow top) now will i need a HO ALT, this is going in a 1991 ext cab Ranger, will the stock alt and the cap be enough? thanx in advance

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 2340
its always good to get one

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 275
but will i need one right away or will i be fine n save some money and buy one later on?

Gold Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 2349
how big is ur stock alt

Bronze Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 96
your are going to need one. factory alt is not strong enough.

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 276
ok im gunna get one and i gotta upgrade wiring also i believe, but if i get one how many amps should i get?, and do i still need new battery if i go with bigger alt?

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 650
You only need new/more batteries if you're playing with your car off.
How many watts total are you running? Assuming your PCA1000D amp is 1000W and your 200W PG, that's 1200W. So just assume you need 120A to run it at full power.
Honestly, as long as you're not turning it up so high that your lights start to dim, you're ok. I'm running 1700W on my stock alternator, but I don't turn it up to the point to where it starts to strain my alternator (Lights dimming). So you'll be ok until you get another one.
Also, that capacitor really isn't going to help you at all right now, it's just going to make your power problems (until you get the HO alt) WORSE then better. It'll cause your lights to not dim, but your alternator will have to put out even more power, trying to recharge that cap.

Bronze Member
Username: Redliner

Post Number: 33
nebody have a ballpark estimate of how much a ho alternator costs

Silver Member
Username: Disturbedpriest

Post Number: 184
On ebay anywhere from 110 to 300 dollars. Depending on the seller, warranty and amperage.

Gold Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 2369
http://www.excessiveamperage.com/

Bronze Member
Username: Redliner

Post Number: 35
thanks chauncey

Silver Member
Username: Thigpen

RVA, Va Usa

Post Number: 296
just wondering, my stock alt is 110 or 115 amps in a 3000gt. im planning on getting 2 12 RE SE's. i usually dont put my volume higher than half at max. would i be fine with adding in a set of xr650 comps and a 300/2 or would that be pushing it?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us