Can you help an extreme newcomer out?

Username: Gubbar924

Post Number: 1
hey guys, I've never put a system together before, and to be perfectly honest with you, I know NOTHING about it! Having that said, I'm looking to add a sub/amp/box to my new 06 Accord and I need your help. I just wanna add a little kick to the system that came with my car, so Im just adding a single sub. I dont need or want it to be so loud as to where people can hear me coming from blocks away :p Not to mention, I dont want the bass drowning out the actual music

sooooooo, this is what I've come up with so far, can you guys tell me how it looks and if I should change anything around? This is the setup I was told to go with for the price and accuracy/distortion range im hoping for...

--- 1 x Diamond Audio D612D4 ---
(I was actually told to go with the D1, but after looking at the specs, maybe I should just stick with the D6?)

--- 1 x JL Audio 500/1 ---
(I was actually told to get the Tester brand 500/1, but if I'm not mistaken, JL Audio bought out Tester, so its the same thing?)

--- 1 x Hooker Audio 12 inch Ported Enclosure ---
I hear Hooker enclosures work well with D.A. subs

--- 1 x 8GA Amp Kit ---
not sure which kit I'm supposed to get though

maybe later on, I'll upgrade the regular car speakers too, money permitting that is.

Money is a big concern here, so anybody know a good (cheaper) alternative as well?

Thanks for the help guys =)

Silver Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 718
looks good. that is going to sound nice. you might want to get a 4gauge amp kit that way if you ever want to add another amp(nothing too big), you can just split that with a fuse distribution block and add it.

Silver Member
Username: Nutty91rs

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 219
Agreed, Wal mart is a great place to pick up a wiring kit for dirt cheap but it's nice to support your local car audio shop. Stick with the D6 for sure. Double check that the enclosure you're putting it in is correct for it. I've never heard of Tester I'll have to reasearch this.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4239
sounds very nice for someone who knows nothing about car audio lol. Most people go for the power cr@ptastic and audiobahn and hifonics for there first system. Looks good. Are you going to be running your stock radio or aftermarket?

Post Number: 2
my bad!! I dont know where I pulled Tester from?! I meant Total Mobile Audio. A couple of guys that work at a car audio shop were telling me to go with Total Mobile Audio instead, if I'm thinking of getting a JL Audio amp since they're essentially the same company (JL owns TMA, only JL costs more).

Also, they told me that D6 might be more than I'd even want, they suggested the D3 instead. I'm not looking to rattle walls but would like some nice bass though. What do you guys think? I AM gonna go to some shops again and go listen to the difference, try to figure out just what my needs are -= \

Post Number: 3
lol, ok my head's spinning in confusion here! Turns out the D6 lineup is considered competition level, right? I definitely dont need that much! So now, I guess its a matter of D1's or D3's. Surprisingly, D1's are getting mentioned more than I'd even expect, considering they're not even listed on Diamond Audio's site. This is what a guy at one of the shops told me ... "The D1's may be entry level for Diamond Audio, but they're not necessarily entry level for real world" (or something like that)

what to do, what to do?? hmmmmmm ....

OH! to answer your question James, right now its gonna be on stock radio. Maybe later it'll change.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4243
ok the d1's are entry level subs but like you said they are very good entry level subs. The d1's were replaced by the d3's I believe when they came out with the D9 which is there comp level sub. I would go with the jl 500/1 and 1-D6 12 that will sound very nice and they match up perfectly. It might seem like a lot at first but you will come to love it believe me. Also with the stock head-unit you will not get max sound from the system as you would with a nice aftermarket CD player. Are you going to be using the JL audio clean sweep for a LOC?

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 2852
Other good sound quality subs alternatives are Image Dynamics ID or IDQ series , Infinity Perfect & JL w3 .

Also u could consider getting a sealed box for more tighter accurate bass .

New HU would make a world of difference but u could always do that later on ..

Post Number: 4
ha! told you I was a beginner, lol ... I have no idea what JL audio clean sweep is ... or even a LOC for that matter :p

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4244
A loc is a line output converter since your stock radio doesnt have RCA pre-outs atleast I dont think it does some of the new cars are starting to go this route for the ease of adding on. What it does is takes the signal from your headunit by stealing it from the signal sent to your speakers and that is how your amp will know what notes to produce. The JL audio clean sweep is supposed to be a very good attempt at recreating the effect of RCA's but I have never used it personally. You can get a LOC for $20 but the clean sweep is about $300 I believe. maybe someone on here has used one.

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 2855
LOC = line out converter , converts your stock HU wires into rca so u can plug in an amp .
Its on JL website - there are many other brands too .....

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 2857
haha - we both posted @ the very same time .

Aftermarket HU are so much better & have alot more features too ...

Post Number: 5
holy crap!! 300 bucks?! forget that! I'll just use a cheap 20 dollar one for now and spend the 300 dollars towards a better head unit later!

Post Number: 6
ok so i think im just gonna bite the big one and go ahead and get a single d6 12" sub. all the shops i've been calling are saying that I can get a JL audio 500/1 amp cuz it works great with the sub, but they all recommend getting a Diamond audio d3600.1 amp instead since im only sticking with 1 sub and the d3600.1 has more power, is also clean, and is cheaper.

can anybody recommend a good enclosure that doesnt cost more than 150 before I go up to the shop again today?

Silver Member
Username: Lanzarchamp

Bakersfield, California United States

Post Number: 263
build your own wont cost you more than 40 bucks for everything, and theres plenty of sites that will help even the newest to car audio build a box

Post Number: 8
cool, thanks for all your help guys, i really appreciate it!

now should I bother buying online from a "non-authorized" dealer? hmmmmmm......?

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4259
that is entirely up to you man you will save a ton of cash but the guys at the local audio shop prob won't be to thrilled with you.

Post Number: 10
f&*k em then! if they werent tryin to rip me off, i would've given them ALL my business. Oh well, looks like I'll be ordering a Diamond Audio D6 12 inch sub with a Diamond Audio D61000.1 amp off the internet and get everything else (box, amp kit, LOC) and the installation done by a local shop.

Thanks for your help guys!

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4271
any time man!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us