Alpine spx-177R vs JL xr-650csi HELP ME PLEASE!!! (JOHNATHAN OR ANYONE ELSE)

Username: Aznegg

Post Number: 4
both the JL XR650-csi and the alpine spx-177r are in mind as my next upgrade for my car, however i dont know which one is better? i want tight midbass

i listen to trance, techno, rave, dance, hiphop, rap

so im looking for something that would suit these types of music.

Both are same price so price doesnt matter, i have no experiencewith either set, therefore i am looking for anyone elses views or opinions,

in addition, what amp should i use to power these sets?

PLEASE AND THANK YOU SOOO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HELPFUL COMMENTS IN ADVANCE. any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for all your help.

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 523
i've got the JL 3 ways and they sound great, but bring out all the imperfections in mp3 data cd's, but thats kinda expected. i've had a set of thoes alpine type x speakers and i wasn't happy with the quality at all, went from thoes to boston rally components and the change was amazing. that and the alpines tweeter just started crackling after few weeks with 75 watts of clean power.

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 1554
alpine has been known to botch up speakers pretty well. jl has a solid rep.

Post Number: 7
ok ive decided to get the JL components b/c of brandons hatred for the alpines, but now i have no idea as to what amp i should get.

any suggestions!?

Silver Member
Username: Ucfsaxman

Oviedo/orlando, Fl

Post Number: 295
right now i'm using a rockford 301s which 75x2 rms for my JL XR components and they sound awesome. you could give them more something that does 100x2 would be good also

Silver Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 537
haha, i just don't like their components, and find it pretty sad for their top of the line stuff to go to sh it so easily and sound so bad. the JL's i have now are great.
for an amp find something that'll give 75 to 100 watts as said above. rockford, kicker and mtx have tons of different model amps, i'm sure you could find one that'll work.
or an orion 3002 (75 watts X 2 at 4 ohms) or a 4002 (100 watts X 2 at 4 ohms).

Post Number: 10
I was looking at either the

Precision Power PPI DCX300.2

or the

Rockford Fosgate 301s

But im not sure which one is better for me....... for this application.....

the PPI will come out to being about 80-100usd more than the PPI..... any suggestions...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
sorry not 80-100 it would only be about 30-40 more

Silver Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 549
rockford amps are deceint. don't know much about PPI, only that their older stuff, especially the art series, is way better then their new stuff.

but which ones more then which one,
you said the PPI will be 30-40 more then the PPI

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
sorry the PPI would be more expensive than the fosgate....

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4970
You may want to talk to Dylan on here about his components, haven't heard the Dayton Reference drivers, but the spec out excellently and I've heard excellent reviews. In your price range as well, I'd def put them above XRs and Alpine Type X.

PPI and RF are pretty much on level playing grounds. Good, not great. Put out rated power and are pretty reliable, I'd go with whichever is cheaper.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
im looking to spend around .... 1-200 on an so i was wondering jonathan what you would consider to be a nice amp in that price range? or should i just stick with the fosgate?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us