Audiobahn a8000t to power alpine type-r?

Silver Member
Username: Biggyg9712

Post Number: 111
im thinking of buying these 2, im gonna get the 12 inch dual 4 ohm sub and run it at 2 ohms. would this amp be good enough to power the type-r...will it be giving it to much power?

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 1246
it will be enough, but whats ur budget

Silver Member

Post Number: 112
probly like 400 dollars, this stuff isonly gonna cost me $320 including the box, so if im not mistaken, thats a pretty good system for that price.

Silver Member

Post Number: 113
if someone could answer this quick i would really appreciate it,
is this system a good buy? will it last long and sound good?
can i get anyhitng better for around $350?

Gold Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 1258
since u have a tight budget u might want to look at Hifonics for amps ex: http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-HIFONICS-TITAN-1000wat-MONO-CAR-AUDIO-AMPLIFIER-AMP_W0QQ itemZ5826574967QQcategoryZ18797QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Silver Member

Post Number: 114
wouldnt the a8000t be better? its less money and about the same power.

and will i be hurting the type-r by giving it 800 watts rms?

Gold Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 1259
since the Hifonic is more efficent (class D) i would take that unless u have a HO alternator. type r's can handle more than what they are rated so 800 watts rms would not hurt it(the audiobahn probably puts out 780+)

Silver Member

Post Number: 115
k, would the sub sound better running at 1 ohm or 2 ohms, would i even be able to tell the difference?

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 636
Get Big, the A8000T is Class D as well, I know, I own one. I bought the amp at the suggestion of Isaac, if you've read his posts, he knows what he's talking about. He didn't suggest Hifonics to me, as he's seen them fail, and he's tested the Audiobahn he suggested to me, and it puts out 800W RMS on the letter. So I think that answers this question. Get the Audiobahn, Hifonics lacks more SQ and Audiobahn.

"(the audiobahn probably puts out 780+)" - So what exactly does the "+" mean anyways Big? The Type R's are 500W RMS aren't they? I don't believe they are SPL oriented, so why would they handle much more than that? The Type R's aren't like RE subwoofers which can sometimes handle 500W RMS more than suggested. Afterall, it's Alpine, another mass-marketed brand like so many others, so just keep that in mind.

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 637
Mike, you can't run that sub at 1 ohm on the A8000T. You may be able to on the Hifonics. However, running subs at a lower impedance, can cause distortion, whether it's audible, is still in debate. But it's known to be there. Hifonics amps are generally used to just achieve high SPL's with little $$$. Audiobahn would be more in your range for the fact it's aimed more towards the daily driver, and not reaching insane SPL's with garbagy parts.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Audiobahn doesn't make their own Hifonics-type amps which provide lots of power and no SQ, but the series we're speaking of has decent SQ and provides the power it says it does.

Ohms is impedance. It is the resistance the subwoofer (in this case) puts on the amp. If you run a subwoofer or speaker to the amp at a lower impedance than it is designed to handle it will overheat. 1 ohm is no better than 2 ohms. It's just a wiring configuration to determine resistance. Hifonics amps may be able to do 800W RMS at 1 ohm, but at 2 ohms, it can't do that. Audiobahn's can do it at 2 ohms, but can't safely run at 1 ohm. So really, it doesn't matter.

Bronze Member
Username: Hootz

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada

Post Number: 15
A type R should be able to handle 800 rms. I'm running my swr-1222D at 700 and it's fine, and my friend ran his 2 swr-1221D's at 800 rms each for quite a while until I bought them off him, and those were only 300W rms. and they were still perfect.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us