Mikechec9 would this work

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 3679
Since I dont have a dolby digital decoder in my home reciever and just dolby prologic couldnt i get the optical cable and send the digital decoding out from the sound card in the computer into the home reciever for two channel mode standard stereo setting and turn it into a true digital 2 channel stereo reciever? (any thoughts) I mean a dolby digital sound card is only 15 bucks

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 1474
ha! sean, you could honestly probably better inform me. i'm pretty much strictly car audio.
i can hardly afford that as i tend to go all out, so i have nothing left for any other hobby.
i have a pair of 2" dell speakers on my cpu, and a shelf system for my tv, lol. when i finally move out of this apt into a house, i'll likely be asking you about my HT and computer set-up.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3683
LOL ok man thanks for replying

Gold Member

Post Number: 3684
im finding if you think a little you can come up with ideas and then all you have to do is research the technology which is what im doing now....im loving discovering technology like this (how it works) and yes ill be glad to help you with all that when the time comes

Gold Member

Post Number: 3687
It is possible to access surround sound with a standard stereo receiver, however, since all the information is actually included in the left and right channels.

To do this, get a pair of rear speakers and position them to the left and right of the listener. Connect the (+) amplifier terminal for the right channel to the (+) speaker terminal on the right rear speaker and the (+) amplifier terminal for the left channel to the (+) speaker terminal for the left rear speaker. Then you connect the two (-) terminals on the rear speakers.

The "poor man's surround sound" setup

The stereo signals that are in phase in the front channels cancel each other out in the rear speakers: The (+) currents for left and right will arrive at the (+) and (-) terminals of each speaker at the same time, so the current won't change the electromagnet at all.

But the signals that are out of phase in the stereo channels will form an alternating current -- the current for these signals will flow out of the (+) amplifier terminal for the left channel while the (+) speaker terminal for current is flowing into the (+) amplifier terminal for the right channel. The effect is that these out-of-phase signals move the electromagnet for the rear speaker, and so control the rear sound.

To set up a simple central speaker -- one that anchors the left and right stereo speakers -- just turn on your television. If it's a mono-speaker television, it will play both stereo channels mixed together. Stereo televisions will also work decently for anchoring purposes, because both channels emanate from the area of the television.

The other piece you need in this setup is a potentiometer, a device that can apply different degrees of resistance to a current, thereby reducing the voltage in a circuit. In this surround-sound setup, the potentiometer simply acts as a volume control for the rear speakers. You can hook it up anywhere along the circuit leading to the rear speakers. For detailed instructions on setting up this sort of homemade system, check out Chris Kantack's Surround Sound Information Source.

This setup won't give you the same quality surround sound as an actual surround-sound receiver, of course. But assembling a homemade system is a great exercise for understanding how analog surround sound works in the first place.

In the 1990s, a new kind of surround sound started popping up in theaters, and since then it has been gradually eclipsing the standard 4-2-4 approach. In the next section, we'll take a look at these new digital theater sound systems.
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/surround-sound7.htm
application/octet-streamUpload
aslsubs111.js (0.0 k)

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 1475
sweet. i'll definitely look you up, then.
i love researching too. working on a couple of patents that actually came out of new ideas for my install. having my own garage would work wonders.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3688
Sweet man the way things are going for me in various studies and arenas looks like ill have patent ideas in my future as well
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us