JL audio=WTF

Bronze Member
Username: Waitn4

Post Number: 21
All I want to know is why JL audio hooked up the w7 with 3 ohm voice coils. Well, thats not about amplifiers you say. Well what the heck kind of amp/setup would you use on it. I hate working with ohms but anyways if you guys have some info that would seriously help.

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 1389
it was intentionally done so as to optimize the sales of their amps as well as their subs.
the rips technology allows the amps to provide the same power regardless of impedence. brilliant marketing.
jl..gotta lov'em

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 2103
yeah but up comes Phoenix Gold with their Xenon series amps which does the same 1-4ohms gig .
Not that i would choose PG over JL -lol

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 1394
"Not that i would choose PG over JL -lol"

agreed. the engineer for jl constructed the same technology (similar-in its infant stages) on the olp PPI amps in the 90's.

pg's don't really do the same thing as the rips in jl. they come close though.
e.g., the 600.1's 2ohm load is about 112watts more than their 4ohm load.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 4020
"All I want to know is why JL audio hooked up the w7 with 3 ohm voice coils. Well, thats not about amplifiers you say. Well what the heck kind of amp/setup would you use on it. I hate working with ohms but anyways if you guys have some info that would seriously help."

Things don't have to match up exact. Just find an amp that pushes the w7 a little more than you'd want at 2 ohms, and not quite enough at 4. It should be close at 3 ohms. You can run a sub in a range of rms wattage, you don't have to match things up perfectly.

Silver Member
Username: Spyder

Eglin AFB, Florida USA

Post Number: 194
i have my W7 on a 2ohm amp.....1100 watts at 2ohm.....from what the Zapco techs told me i am pushing ruffly about a 1000 watts at it. the ohm load that is posted on sub is just the nominal load....as a voice coil heats up...the resistance rises any way to ruffly 3 ohms or possibly more...and the W7 is rated at around 2.4 or so ohms nominally. and here is a little secret for ya....all of the W7 line is dvc 1.5ohm! the 8's thru 12's come factory setup in a series setup hence the single hookup. but if you actually examine the sub you will see the 2 sets of wires feeding into the magnet for the voice coils! but they do have one advantage on the 13.5 it can go down to a .75 ohm load.....perfect for some cheater amps out their! namily the old orions!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us