Best Type of Enclosure? Best sub for under $150?

Cheap sob!!
Unregistered guest
I was wondering what enclosure design gives the best performance and volume, like sealed, ported, bandpass...I was also wondering what kinda of sub you guys would recommend that costs less than 150 bucks tops...the cheaper the better. I have a 400 watt amp to go along with that sub...some infinity digital amp of some sort.

biggus dikkus
Unregistered guest
you need a ported box tuned to 34Hz with a JL sub but you wont do it on your budget

Username: Tomdaman

Post Number: 6
Eclipse are good subs $169 per sub on e-bay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18803&item=3092207554&rd= 1
Ported box goes best with these subs.

sure_13
Unregistered guest
You can get a 12" JL 12w3v2 for around $150, and it should run well from a 400 watt amp. Get a slot port box for the best spl, but that will run you around $100. Good luck

Cheap sob!!
Unregistered guest
Is there anything under $100? I can make the boxes easy... so you guys are saying a straight ported box? Not a ported bandpass...like fourth order? What would be my best bet for a sub at like ultimate electronics or best buy? I've read some bad things about those sony pentagon subs so i've ruled those out. The main thing i want for wattage is to be able to max out my amp and not have distortion...

Robert j
Unregistered guest
go with kicker good subs and there at your price range. depends on the type of sound you want out of your sub but go with the compvr line. The 10 is $79, 12 is $95, and the 15 is $129. if you get the 10 get two of them and the 12 you are going to need to turn your gain down. the 15 is the best match for your amp. look on ebay for these subs. they have them all, the 12 is kinda hard to find. Or you can go to woofersetc.com/ all whole sale, they are the prices i gave you. Hope this helps.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2125
Kicker CompVR 12" subs, ~$99 each
two of those )2+2 ohm DVC) on a mono amp rated for 600wRMS @ 2 ohms, like the Kicker KX600.1

ported box, 2cu ft per sub after driver and port displacement, tuned to 34Hz with 1 4"ID port per side.

it'll do ya right.
forget bandpass if you want good range and deep bass. 4th order is just more efficient, but it lacks the depth of a good ported or sealed box.
They're just loud.

kickercomp
Unregistered guest
i have a kicker comp vr 10 in a custom slot ported box specially made for that sub and im running it with a 1000w xploid amp which really only gives like 400-500watts of power and it hits around 130dB, one song hit 135dBon a spL meter, so id go with a kicker comp vr 10 and a custom box, cause without my custom box the thing would be hitting like 110 or less.

Cheap sob!!!
Unregistered guest
Yeah but can you get those kicker subs at best buy or ultimate electronics? I looked at their website and couldn't find them. What do you guys think about infinity subs or rockford fosgate?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2144
an Adire Shiva 12" is #125. That's another option but at the edge of your limit.

As for boxes, ported is nice and punchy..
sealed would be the best for accuracy and flat response, but if you're after "more bass" go ported.
bandpass is good (4th order) for SPL, but most don't hit that deep, just very hard.

if all you care about is SPL, and nothing to do with the actual sound itself, look at 6th or 8th order bandpass boxes.
They are custom built, very expensive, and very big.. but they hit hellaciously hard.
you can be up to +12dB with one sub if the box is built right.
Note, if they box has the smalledst error in calculation, or build.. you end up blowing the cone out of the driver as soon as ya turn it on.
They can be a little tricky. :-)

Aperiodic enclosures are getting to be a favorite for SPL/SQ enclosure types too and if you have teh money to pay a pro, try having one built.

Anonymous

...135 dB w/ a single compvr 10???
...on an xploid amp???
...yea, sure
...kickercomp, do you even know what 135 dB sounds like??? not way you got a compvr that loud...i've seen an L710 (bout 1200 watts to it though) that did it...but no way a single compvr could!!!

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2158
actualy saw a single CVR10 in a bandpass box in an early 90s Camaro hit 141 at an event.
Took first place for SPL in it's catagory.

Cheap sob!!!
Unregistered guest
Hey what is your guys' take on kenwood, dual, and rockford fosgate? I'm talkin anything under $100....give me your unsensored opinion.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2167
RF is average.
the others, don't bother
a kicker compVR 12" is $99
the Comp 12" is cheaper yet, around $65 I believe

Username: Vance

Post Number: 3
Dayton Quatro 15" $82 at partsexprss.com. Great service and has a 5 year warranty to boot. Seal it in a stuffed 1.5 cu.ft box. Have fun!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us