New 6.5" XBL^2 Midrange -- and a new 8" to replace Peerless HDS(xls)

Bronze Member
Username: Ologyaudio

Columbus, Oh USA

Post Number: 29
This was all posted in a thread at caraduio... but here it is condensed into one post:

Adire audio is currently building a prototype 6.5" midrange/midwoofer for us (Matthew and myself) with dual copper faradays (VC is alum sleeved), ~13mm one way, XBL^2, alum phase plug, DVC 4 ohm, extension to at least 10khz, 94db/w efficiency, banana pulp/paper cone (keeping SQ as high as possible), and too many more details to mention

100w RMS... 250w max... max SPL from 100hz to 1khz is 114db... this is at RMS though so max is higher

the only quality DVC 6.5" I know of

This will be offered very cheap.... Can't give 100% on the 1 part cost details ... Preorder at about $60/ea as a target.

As far as SQ... it is likely to be better than anything under $500 a driver for it's purposes (2-way, 3-way, 2-way with supertweeter etc) -- we will know when we get some good testing :-)

However I will offer 2 different 2-way budget component options with this speaker

Component set with 12db/octave xovers with JL XR tweeters pair ~= $200ish

Component set 2-way with 18db/octave using the LPG silk domes ~= $300ish

the site where you can order these... starting around 2 weeks from now is www.excelsiorloudspeakers.com

the prototype will be tested by many many people...

Mark K, Jim Griffin, Cheapboy/dingaling, the owner of Image dynamics, Jason Winslow, Mark Seaton, Danny richie from GR research, thylantyr and more

hopefully Adire will make this a great highly efficient (around 10db more output per watt than the Extremis... just from the specs), high excursion, ultra high SQ driver... Think Seas excel on steroids...

------------------------------------------
Dylan at Ology Audio and I would like to announce that we will be partnering for quite a few incredible product offerings... and even more incredibly pricing

we will offer an array of home audio and car audio products from completed ultra high end floor standing speakers... to more fully custom subs and midbasses

we're discussing a very very very nice 8" product, components sets, coaxials, etc.

going to get a few local dealers here shortly.... and two heads are better than one

keep everyone updated as we finalize the 8" design....
------------------------------------------------
I can't wait... jeez! This is going to be so nice. I can barely keep my mouth shut... but I don't want to make everyone expect say... a magnesium cone and it turn out being CFRP... or that it will be a seas excel on steroids with 4x the xmax... only for it to have 2.5x the xmax...

Lets just say I'm more than happy with how this is looking as a replacement for the discontinued HDS(xls) 8" from peerless... and then some for about the same price...
+-30? (notice the very wide spread... haha but atleast you know they won't cost as much as the excels that's for sure...)

Or for it to have a gold plated phase plug... for it to turn out as just solid aluminum or copper... Or that it will be useable up to 2khz... when it could turn out as having energy storage problems above 1.5k... ya know stuff like that isn't final... or could end up coming out as something unexpected in the prototyping stages...

If anyone has something to say... suggestions... anything -- just drop one of us a PM... or possibly it is time to start a new thread on the topic...

Anywho back to preparation for a chem midterm... We were up till the weee hours of the morning working on this project... instead of studying for our quizzes and my midterm... how irresponsible! Haha... speakers are just too much fun...

..... anyways as for what's on tap in the near future:

Release of Excelsior midrange

Release low-mid end home theater lines and stereo speakers... very art deco but at a very reasonable price.

Release some high end towers using the parts I already have...

Release of 8"

Release of mid end floor standers and release of mk2 high end towers using the new 8" and midrange

TBA... but trust me it gets very interesting
---------------------------------------------
Also there will be an even higher end offering of the 6.5" -- more copper in the motor -- little smoother overall -- will try to push the FR as high as possible... granted beaming will become an issue if you wanted to run it full range... -- and it will look even nicer... if that matters :-)

I'll keep people updated :-)

BTW any pricing is for preorder in about 2 weeks and is just a guess untill the protos come in and it is confirmed as on spec... prices may change if we have to go through the proto process again... Needless to say prices will go up after the pre order stage as we will sell mostly to dealers after that... except the raw drivers and ofcourse to areas where there are no local dealers... we will sell direct, however at the same prices you would find from a dealer... much like RE.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4955
"Or that it will be useable up to 2khz... when it could turn out as having energy storage problems above 1.5k..."

Which is pretty likely with a paper cone. Could be at a different frequency, but it's going to have energy storage somewhere. That's the main benefit of a magnesium/aluminum cone driver. Always a compromise somewhere, though, looks like it's going to be a very nice driver :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us