Why Do I Smell VC?

Silver Member
Username: Drpthemc

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 105
I just got a new box and I turned the amp not even half way up, and when i play the music kind of loud for 5 minutes I start to smell voice coil... I turned down the gain but it gets quiet, and i know the subs can get louder... i have JL Audio 1000/1 ...2 ava 12s...hmm how should I tune the amp?...

Silver Member
Username: Matt12490

Benicia, California

Post Number: 265
its just the excess glue burning off... should be no problem in a few weeks or so.

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 3129
I'm guessing you know the gain isn't a vollume controle?
If you're turning the gain all the way up, or close too it, you're prob clipping you're amp. Thats a good way to kill a VC. If you can really smell them, you're def clipping, and its melting you're VC's.

Silver Member
Username: Mrdark

Post Number: 140
what does a vc smell like? I mean just like a burnt circuitboard;electronics?

Silver Member
Username: Drpthemc

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 106
i just know its voice coil heh... hmm i know its not volume controller... and i didnt have it even half way up...hmm dunno... how do u know if its clipping?...

Bronze Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 19
whats the RMS ratings on those speakers? is your amp and subs matched correctly?

Silver Member
Username: Audiobass10

Cape Coral, FL United States

Post Number: 277
It's not necessarily the voice coils..more than likely it's probably glue burning a bit. Though, I would make sure to set your gains PROPERLY.

Blair_187
Unregistered guest
Hmm.. I dunno if i have the same problem or not..I have 750w RMS each to my two idmax's and they arent hitting full excursion. From my understanding they dont need the full 1000w RMS to reach full excursion. After running them hard I can sort of smell something if I smell through the port, though its not really strong and the cone of the subs feel warm.... Is that likely to be just the glue or more ilkely the VC's????

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4676
Ray, you need to follow JL's instruction on setting the gain/level on the amp. You can't guess at it.
The amp also has a switch for hi and low. If it's at low, you'll clip the amp.
Most likely, it's not set properly.
Blair, it's not uncommon for subs to get a little warm. If you get excessive burning smell, check your amp. If it clips/distorts often, it'll send clipped signal (almost like a DC) to your VCs. That will eventually burn them out.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us