Mixing subs

Username: Ben_babo

Post Number: 1
k im new to this stuff but i got one Alpine type R 12"from my brother when he moved out. i bult a box for two 12" subs(sealed) i want to have two subs in my car so iv herd that not alot of people mix subs and i dont realy got alot of cash to spend 200$(canadian)<--lol so could any one help me out? or should i not mix subs and just run away from the idea lol

Username: Armedforglory

FL U.S.

Post Number: 5
I haven't heard anything about mixing sub types, as far as sizes, thats a BIG no-no. it becomes too difficult to tune both subs together, as I imagine it will be for 2 different types of subwoofers...

Silver Member
Username: Phuktupbasshead

Scottsdale, Arizona United State...

Post Number: 320
good question.
I have similar concerns...
Muddywaters once gave me brief advice similar to the advice given above...
Does anyone out there feel like shedding some detailed light on the subject as to why, when, where, and how for us?
Thanks, everyone.

Bronze Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

Post Number: 71
you should be able to get another type R for that price...look at some online sites

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 283
Definately dont do it in the same box.. That would be a pretty bad thing, as they displace different amounts of air, etc..

Seth

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1523
If you are at all concerned with SQ don't mix subs. If you're just looking for more output go for it. It may not sound too hot, but shouldn't damage anything.

-Fishy

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2158
mixing subs is bad because:

both subs(that are different) will not play the same frequencies the same. one might be louder, and the other one might get lower. they will not reach their linear Xmax at the same time, so while one might be hammering, the other could only be at 1/2 or 3/4 of it's Xmax. if they aren't identical, or at least the same model with all the same parts then they will not sound the same. also, one might require a smaller/bigger airspace, and higher/lower tuning. it's like mixing pistons in your engine, i wouldn't put a 4-cyl ford piston in a 4-cyl honda motor. just to give you an example.
hope this helps:-O

Bronze Member
Username: Corey

Post Number: 36

quote:

i wouldn't put a 4-cyl ford piston in a 4-cyl honda motor.

I would!!! Then I'd drain all the oil and coolant out, and rev it to about 9000 rpms and watch it smoke :D

Bronze Member
Username: Dankum

Post Number: 85
lol not this subject again
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us