Inverting?

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 382
For the time being, I was thinking of mounting my Volfenhags "inverted" in my sealed box. What drawbacks are there?

Silver Member
Username: Fordpwr

Los angeles, CA Usa

Post Number: 386
I asked a similar question a few weeks back.
there is'nt any diff in output meaning it's not going to sound louder or anything.
However, someone else posted that you could actually hear the mechanical noise of the motor.

Silver Member

Post Number: 389
Hrmm...Well that helps a little bit. I'm mostly doing it just for show. I mean, they're Volfenhags, not Audiobahns, so it's not like I'm going chrome happy...

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 1169
besides the mechanical noise,
http://www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/inverted.html

Silver Member

Post Number: 393
Ok, well it sounds like it has issues sometimes with ported enclosures, but what about sealed? They aren't tuned to any specific frequencies...

Silver Member
Username: Fordpwr

Los angeles, CA Usa

Post Number: 388
I beleive it still affects it but It should'nt be a noticebly huge difference compared to a ported enclosure

Gold Member

Post Number: 1171
it has the same effect on sealed enclosures as it would with ported enclosures. just not to the same degree. the volume is going to change because you no longer have the basket and motor structure to account for inside the box. all of that is now on the exterior. so if you construct your box with inverting the subs in mind, then the subs will sound the same as they would if the box was constructed taking into account the displacement of the driver.
it's still a matter of interior volume (as the link states).

Silver Member

Post Number: 426
So if it's sealed it's going to get slightly louder then right?

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3859
You won't hear any audible difference.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1173
volume as in the amount of 3-dimensional space occupied by an object.
not the magnitude of sound.

if you fill the bath tub to the top and somehow manage to hover on top of the water, then it is likely not to spill over. but if you decide to sit in the water, it will spill over onto the floor because you did not take into account the displacement of your body. the same goes for the "body" of the sub. that's about as simple as i can make it.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2146
dang, i feel like i was in 3rd grade when i read your post mikechec. LOL j/k

Silver Member

Post Number: 428
I like Joe's answer better, I won't hear any audible difference. I have a very simple dual 12" box. Simple as can be for that matter. The ONLY question I have about this, is where do I put the subs terminal wires...Basically, how do I run them from outside to inside...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1175
not being a jerk. just clarifying my seemingly vague explanation (volume?).
joe made his reply while i was typing mine. otherwise, i also would have let well enough be.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us