Distorted Sounding Subs!!! HELP!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Davidnolen

Lexington, South Carolina USA

Post Number: 33
I just bought 2 Kicker CVR12 the other day. I just had them installed in my Q-Logic Bandpass box. They sounded muffled. I took the plexy glass off the front of the box and it sound distorted. It sounds good at low volume, but the more volume I give it, the more it doesnt seem to bump. Anyone have a solution to this problem? Is it my box? the subs are facing eachother at an angle inside the box, would that matter? please help me LOL The amp I have is a 800 Watt Pioneer Mono Amp.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3815
It's your box. Prefab's suck, especially bandpass, ESPECIALLY.

Also, when you took the plexi glass off, that middle chamber is no longer sealed, so your defeating the purpose of even having the box.

Username: Dementedvisions

Cedartown, GA

Post Number: 6
lol put the glass back on, also sell that box and make your own

Demented Visions

Username: Dementedvisions

Cedartown, GA

Post Number: 7
lol put the glass back on, also sell that box and make your own

Demented Visions

Bronze Member
Username: Young_james

Canada

Post Number: 41
Although that the box sucks, I would say that the amp isn't helping out either. Do you have the Pioneer GM-7100-M amp? That amp is 800 watts Max like you said. But you don't go by the max wattage on an amp, you go by the RMS. If that's the amp you have, then you must have wired the subs to a 2ohm load, since it's a mono amp. THe amp pushes out 360 RMS @ 2ohms, which means that each sub is getting 180 watts RMS each. You said that it sounds good at low volumes, but when you turn it up, it gets distored. This is probably because you are "asking" the amp to put out more power to your subs than it can handle, causing you amp to clip and making the subs distort. I would CERTAINLY get a new box, and see how it sounds to you, but if your still not happy and like your music loud, you should consider a new amp also. That's my opinion anyways! :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Vai4me

Michigan USA

Post Number: 17
Hey man I have 2 CompVR's myself and they ARE blown...just to make sure...you may want to test each voice coil with a multimeter to make sure it is still registering the ohms it is supposed to...just a recommendation.

Username: Soundtech26

Chilliwack, BC Canada

Post Number: 2
hey man sometimes the simplist is the best solution. Q-logic makes decent boxes however sometimes sealing these subs to the carpeted surface on the front of the box is a problem. Maybe before getting too caried away you might want to cut the carpet away from the sub mounting edge and romove it so you can use some silicone and seal it directly to the MDF. Also you never stated whether the polarity of the subs were the same. If one of the subs is wired in reverse it will cause a similar problem to what you describe. You see the subs then are unable to built pressure inside the box and the energy is simply transmitted from each sub to the other kinda like a see saw motion which can over extend the subs causing distortion and lower sound output. Give this a try and let me know if it helped. Keep it loud and clean from canada baby.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us