Questions on box building?

Bronze Member
Username: Hondarider

Glidden, Iowa U.S.

Post Number: 38
1. Can i buy mdf at any lumber yard?

2.Is there a website that i can enter the dimensions and it will show the internal volume?

3. Which is better a slot port or a round port?

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1145
1 - yep

2 & 3 - www.the12volt.com which i like to use ..

Silver Member
Username: Tdisanto

Post Number: 273
1.) Yes
2.) www.bcae1.com
3.) I believe slotted

Silver Member
Username: Tdisanto

Post Number: 274
haha, rovin you beat me too it

our lists are almost the same too, lol

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 687
1. depends .. your not gonna find it at your lumber yard that delivers construction material ... u can buy it at home depot..

2 . yes u can search for sub box calculators on the internet to get a few.. what ever happened to math?? length x width x hight = volume

3.. none of them are really better .. slot ports are usually easier to make .. especially on low tuned boxes where the port has to be particularly long which would be awkward with a round port

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 688
wtf that was quick :\

Bronze Member

Glidden, Iowa U.S.

Post Number: 39
I was using a port size calculator and the smaller the diameter of the port the shorter the port can be at the same frequency is this true?

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1146
Well Mark in reply to your 2. - now that there is the internet & pretty much we are all very lazy ppl so its easier to go on http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp & play around with the numbers .

long ago we actually had to go take up a calculator with some pen & paper & work things out the old fashioned way bustin our brains .

Now things have gotten way easier - LOl Upload

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1147
If u are using pipe ports - yeah that seems to be right . For 12" subs i like using 3" pvc made ports .

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 690
yes it is true.. but unfortunately it doesnt work that way... see subwoofers move air inside the box and out the port.. expecially when u get into higher excursion subwoofers the can move alot of air.. well when u start shrinking the port the air has to move faster to travel through a smaller area as opposed to a larger area.. this causes port noise which would be a bit of an annoyance hearing a whistle over the sub.. there is a porgram alot of people hear use called winisd.. u can download it at www.linearteam.org.. - i think? something like that its a porgram for designing subwoofer box's .. it takes a bit of time to get used to but with this program u can punch in numbers for your ported box, like port diameter and length and u can check the air velocity comming out of the port to make sure u have no port noise.. check it out

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 691
rovin 3 " ports might work for some subs( although it seems kind of small to me) it wont cut it for all 12" subs

Bronze Member

Glidden, Iowa U.S.

Post Number: 40
Now i have another question in a subs specs it has the recommened ported volume is that number how much air it needs after everything is in it like the sub and port or is that before?

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 692
depends.. does it say net volume or gross volume? net is after subwoofer and vent displacement and gross is just the volume of the box

Bronze Member

Glidden, Iowa U.S.

Post Number: 42
what if it doesnt say net or gross?

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1149
Well i did not say all types of 12s need 3" pipe - 3" is just my personal preference cause of what u mentioned using small diameter pipe but the problem with a 4" pipe u will notice it calls for much more length & some ppl use an elbow fitting to acheive this , for some reason i don't like that method . So 3 is good enough for me .

But like u said & i agree , download a box building program which will make life so much easier . Upload

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 694
hmm it sais recommended ported box volume and doesnt list whether or not its gross or net??? what model is the subwoofer... and what number does it give you?

Bronze Member

Glidden, Iowa U.S.

Post Number: 43
i am looking at the re sx and the alpine type r.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-JSLauAGwtgK/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=520&id=detailed_ info&i=500SWR1242#Enclosure%20Compatibility

http://www.reaudio.com/html/

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 696
i could tell you the optimum for the R's .. for the sx's my guess is as good as yours

Silver Member
Username: Racer501

ND USA

Post Number: 140
HOLY that winISD program figures i can get up to 122 dB with 2 kicker CVR's is that even possible?

Bronze Member

Glidden, Iowa U.S.

Post Number: 44
Do you have to brace a box?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us