Im considering re xxx do they get nearly as loud as L7s

Bronze Member
Username: Vic_in_explorer

Sanford, Florida United States

Post Number: 19
I basically want the best of both worlds when it comes to my bass. I listen to Rap mostly but i want an impressive system for loudness and sound quality. I want to buy subs that I dont feel like considering another model or brand after ive owned them for a while. I dont want to compete. What kind of decibels would i get with 2 15 xxxs.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
I know this subject is lame but i want to buy subs that are clean and responsive ,but bang in my explorer. Do xxxs sound good ported and still sound clean

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2081
yes.:-)

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 3048
Actually, I think they do the best in ported inclosures, and in the right set up, it's possable to reach 150 DB's.
Way better than L7's.:-)

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2087
GW's setup hits like 153 or somewhere in that area. and his are in an aperiodic enclosure which is meant for SQ.

Silver Member
Username: Audiobass10

Cape Coral, FL United States

Post Number: 254
"GW's setup hits like 153 or somewhere in that area. and his are in an aperiodic enclosure which is meant for SQ."

I think you're referring to his old Festiva on the AC mic using Cerwin Vega 12s. Twp xxx's in an AP enclosure will get nowhere near 150. I'm sure his setup with the AP enclosure would be in the mid to high 130's. Although, who cares how loud it meters when you're doing an AP setup anyways.

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 988
I remember him saying that his RE's got around 153 on the Term... But I may have miss-read?

Silver Member
Username: Rhassler

Gilford, NH

Post Number: 393
i member him sayin that too jake

Silver Member
Username: Audiobass10

Cape Coral, FL United States

Post Number: 260
"I remember him saying that his RE's got around 153 on the Term... But I may have miss-read?"

I wanna say AP enclosures are generally around 3-6 DB down from a sealed enclosure, so yea that was probably a mis read.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Well with all said i am going to get the xxx's. Does anyone have any suggestions for a enclosure builder that can build me that AP enclosure at a decent price

Silver Member

Gilford, NH

Post Number: 394
i remember him sayin that too jake

Silver Member

Gilford, NH

Post Number: 395
whoaa weird double post lol

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Is AP not my best choice

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 3055
I wouldn't really go for it... but thats just me.
I think they do there best in a ported box.
An AP inclosure is for the best SQ possable... which "I'm guessing," is the worst for spl.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10694
151.1 but remember mine are in a fastback, firing forward, and the car has good acoustic response, plus it's sound deadened out the wazoo and I'm feding each sub about 1300 watts.
yeah AP enclosures are about 3dB down from sealed due to the resistive membrane impeding driver movement, but that's also what gives better control over the driver movement and eliminates 2nd and 3rd order distortion.

Taylor's pretty much right.. AP sucks for SPL, but it's ideal for SQ, plus an AP box requires a sealed trunk separated from the cabin space. Basically, an AP box just lets you mimmick a large sealed enclosure, with a smaller amount of space.

if you want good output from the subs, go with a ported enclosure and tune the box to around 28-34Hz. Use a minimum of 4" ID ports, and feed the subs plenty of juice.
you should be happy with the results.
make sure the box builder has the subs before he builds the box though.
you'll need to double the front baffle thickness for support (60 lbs each on those subs) and you'll want to reincorce the box internally for rigidity.
the box is going to be rather heavy.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10695
oh regarding my setup remember I'm also using an orion 300prq with those amplifiers, so I can boost the signal 15dB at 40Hz, which helps tremendously for subs when you want something to hit hard. a preamp is a fun toy if you have a place for one.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us