Not happy with infinity kappa

Bronze Member
Username: Sinx85

Post Number: 16
hey guys i just changed speakers that came with myexpedition ( i think its mac system) with infinity kappa speakers. the size of the stock speaker is 6x8 and the infinity kappa i installed is 5 1/4. well the thing is the sound didnt improve , its actually a little lower then my stock speakres. Can any one please tell me whats going on :-( did i installed them wrong.

all i did was unscrew the stock one out and replace them with kappa's. Also the size of these speaker was smaller so i couldnt adjust all the screws. Just did 2 sides ( they are tight but still have gap ( can this be the reason ) ??

what other speakers you guys suggest?
should i get the same size 6x8 or what something else. I clear and lound sound.

your reply is very much apprecaited

thankx

Silver Member
Username: Monkey_man

Post Number: 341
An amplifier will probaly fix the problem. Your speakers are most likely not beeing powered well. An amp will make them much louder in most cases. PLease someone jump in if i am wrong.

Silver Member
Username: Goon

Post Number: 330
I actually agree...also they won't give the bass that 6x8 will, but they should sound good. give them like 125-150wrms each speaker, and you should be pleased.

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 954
They should be able to handle much more power than stock, and stay clean doing it. An amp would be my way to go. And you won't get as much bass as from the 6x8, but acoustically, it's a lot better (perfectly round).

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
i have a lcd and dvd changer that i will be installing in few days. the dvd changer gives 4 x 50 watt so total of 200watt. will this be good for these speakers? if not then
whats the easiest way to run these with amp. like do i have to do the wiring from speaker to amp directly? isnt this too hard :-(
another thing i noticed is the sound of these kappas is a little harsh, i bought these from local store and still can return them within 30 days. If there is anything that sound better and loud with bass please let me know. I was listening to infinity 6002i and they sounded better.
ah well i am very much confused so please help me out

thankyou

Silver Member
Username: Riebread77

Post Number: 660
thats probably more like 22-25 watts rms...it'll help because stock puts out much less, but still not what'll bring out the realism in kappa...but it'll sound sufficiently better still

Bronze Member
Username: Yada

Post Number: 13
hit up the fleamarket for a cheap amp to test it out. I highly recommend doing that, I had infinity 6.5s playing straight from the deck and it sounded ok. But I went to fleamarket and got a crappy 10 years old alpine 3527s amp for $10(real beat up but works damn well), bridge mode it puts out like 70RMS per channel. Suprisingly this made the system sounds much better, and now I can go deaf if I wanted to, clean sound too!

Username: Brandonk17

Post Number: 10
A lot of people have the same feelings as you... that the kappas are a bit harsh... when it comes down to it you are the one that will be listening to it so make sure you get what you think sounds nice... bass does sound better thought with a sub so that is always a thought...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
hey guys i am gona return these kappas, i hooked 2 of my kappas in my buddies car with an amp, the sound was loud but tooooo harh i couldnt even listen to them at lound vol :-(
can any one suggest any other speakers that are lound but not harsh.

thankx

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
I would suggest you go and listen to a few of the different speakers that you might be interested in... then go from there... you will get a much better feeling of what you want after hearing them first hand... then if you want some opinions after youve narrowed down the speakers to your liking... come on back and we will be more then happy to try and lead you in the right direction :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
hey budy i went to futureshop in canada and they only have brands like pioneer, kenwood, and infinity references that i can listen to :-(

any one know any other place where i can listen to something nice. I live in mississauga.

thankyou

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
I am very farmiliar with your area at all... sorry i cant help too much... my only suggestion would be to look in a phone book or one of a surrounding area to see what they have in the yellow pages... im not sure if you have yellow pages in canada haha... but if not then whatever you use to list companies

Bronze Member
Username: Caraudio

Post Number: 75
Ebay for Infinity.

Now will an AMP improve sound quality aswell aslong with more Bass?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4536
Sinx, you in Mississauga? FutureShop $uck$.
Have you been to Kromer radio? It's near College and Bathrust. They have high end speakers.
Also, you didn't test the Kappas properly. It should sound much better than your 6x8 crappy speaker. You also didn't do it right in your friend's car.
That speaker done properly will yield great SQ.

Silver Member
Username: Tdisanto

Post Number: 182
Car audio,

An amp will produce better SQ and will also give you more "Bass" (im assuming your talking about your infinitys 6*9s)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
hey Isaac , yes i am in mississauga (near square 1). the infinity kappas i installed are 5 1/4 well i am thinking of going with 6.5 now. i guess they will sound better, but will they also sound harsh ? also how are infinity 60002i

about the amp, i got this 4 channel 800 watts amp (Urban audio works U.S.A) from a buddy. Dont know how many rms it got. Can any one please tell me how can i find that out.
can i hook these speekers to it?
what settings should i put. If you want i can take the pictures so you can see what it got.

thankx

Gold Member

Post Number: 4540
6.5" is better than 5 1/4". Do you have equalizer? It does wonders with components. My setup for example, contains 3 sets of tweeters. Without my 30 band equalizer, it sounds very harsh. Thanks to RTA, the sound is balanced, and the highs are very clearn and chrisp.
Also, slapping on a component doesn't guarantee you instant SQ. Adding an amp helps, but for true SQ, you need an amp that can produce the original signal without tainting or altering.
Whatever you do, do not downgrade the speakers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
hey bro what kind of amp should i use then ? and i dont have equalizer :-(

Gold Member

Post Number: 4545
Look for one on eBay. Sometimes you luck out and will be able to find 30 band equalizer for $200 - $300.
For amps, Xtant will give you excellent SQ for a low price.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
hey bro i have few questions.
1) what should i look for in an amp ( just rms ) ? if yes how many rms is good
2) whats the difference between 2 channel amp and 4 channel? and which one is better?
3) whats a mono amp ? i was checking it on ebay and says mono amp
4) difference between 4 Ohm and 2 ohm
5) below are the specifications of an Xtant amp on ebay. can you please tell me what all this means

Frequency Response: 5 Hz to 50 kHz +/- 1 dB
Number of Channels: 2
Watts per Channel @ 4 Ohm: 2 x 100 (* does this mean i can hook 2 speakers or subs to it and it will give 100 rms each ? also if i put more speakers like 4 to this then it will give 50 rms each?
Watts per Channel @ 2 Ohm: 2 x 200 ( and this
Bridged Mono @ 4 Ohm: 1 x 400 (*what does this mean ) ?
Recommended Load: 2 ohm Stereo / > 4 ohm Bridged ( and this ?)

your reply very much apprecaited

thankyou

Gold Member

Post Number: 4551
That Xtant amp is really for powering your component speakers. Your Kappas are within the 100w rms range so it should give excellent SQ.
You can't go by the rms alone when shopping for an amp. There's damping factor, SN ratio, Slew rate, channel separation, bandwidth, frequency response and country of origin of the amp.
If you're not sure, then stick to Zapco/Xtant/JL for quality products.
100w x 2 means you can hook up 2 speakers and get that much power to each.
If you connect speakers in parallel, then yes, you will be dividing the power by half. Therefore, each would get 50w.
200w x 2 @2ohms means, if you dropped the resistance of the speaker by half, you double the output power.
Bridged mono means you're basically combining the output power of the 2 channels into one. So, 200w x 2 @2ohms becomes 400w x 1 @ 4ohms.
Mono ampp = 1 channel, stereo = 2 channel.
4 channel amps are good for powering front and the rear speakers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
thankx budy :-) i ll go head and buy that amp.
another thing, how will i connect 2 amps
the power and the ground i can just use the same but the rca cables , where will i put them?
also how are these kappa's
http://www.hookedontronics.com/show_product_details.jsp?cid=1003&c=0510Froogle&b =Infinity_Kappa+62.5i

thankx

Gold Member

Post Number: 4554
They're not components. If you're after SQ, then I'd stay away from them.
To connect 2 or more amps, you need to get power distribution block. For RCAs, you can get a splitter or, nowdays, most amps have input and output for 2nd amp.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us