Blown Subwoofers?? HELP!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Davidnolen

Lexington, South Carolina USA

Post Number: 14
I have 2 pioneer subwoofers that are about 4 years old. They are the old 450 watt ones. I have a new amp that I installed about 3 months ago, it's a mono block 800 watt pioneer amp. When i have the radio turned up a little everything works fine. But when i turn it up some more the subs dont respond at all. The amp still keeps power, but the subs are bumpin? Anyone know what's going on? Could it be I blew a voice coil? What would be some good subs if i did blow my old ones that would go good with a 800 watt mono block Pioneer?? PLEASE HELP!!!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
I need as much help as I can. It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Bronze Member
Username: Caraudio

Post Number: 43
your amp may be clipping.

Meaning either the amp or sub is demanding more power then it has so its forceing some sort of shortage.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Well I've had this amp for about 5 months now. I thought I blew it and i took it back to the store and they gave me a new one. When that didnt work, he said it could be the subs, or possibly my RCA jacks were going ad. They used to work great. I'm thinking it's the subs. Voice Coil or something.

Bronze Member
Username: Dankum

Post Number: 51
the connection from the terminal to the voice coil might be bad

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
they wont look bad to the eye really but it is a common accurance

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
occurance whatever

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Yea, I was looking at it and didnt see anything wrong, but like you said its hard to just look at it and see if it's bad. If one sub is bad then both of them wont work right? Since I have a mono amp. both negatives are going to one side of the speaker terminal on the amp and same with the positives, i'm guessing that's how I was supposed to run those wires. LOL.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
If you have two 4ohm sub you r running them at
2ohms hooked up that way. sounds right.
But I was talking about the terminals on the speakers themselfs.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
the wire that is soldiered from the termianl to the voice coil might be going bad.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Yea, i'm taking them back to where I bought them today and having them test it. If there bad, then i'm just going to have to buy some new ones. I dont know what the best subs to get with the Pioneer 800 watt mono amp I have.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
do they completely cut out at high vol. and come back on as you turn it down?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
some amps also have protection circuits that will shut the amp off when being asked for too much, but the power light will still stay on.
If your power supply(battery)isnt giving your amp enough power then your amp wont be able to give your speakers enough power.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Yea, they completely cut out at high volume and then when the volume is turned down, they cut back on. The amp still has the light on when the subs stop working, so I know it's not the cabling. This amp has working for months now and it all of a sudden just stopped one day after I was really getting into the song that was on the radio.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us