Just cant figure out this avalanche...

Silver Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 981
okay i took my avalanche out of the box and took a look at it. i couldnt see and burning evidence on the coils or anything. i hooked it up freeair and didnt really notice anything. and wow, with no enclosure there is very little output. should i just send the sub in and have AA take a look at it? its definetly not lead slap. there is some noise coming from below the cone but i think thats normal? and you just dont hear it when its in an enclosure. one thing that i definetly dont get though. is when i had it in the enclosure it made that slapping noise and when it was free air it didnt make that noise. i dont get it. i dont know what to do....

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1169
maybe your enclosure has a loose panel...or maybe the sub is not tight against the baffle when you put it in. (ex: warped baffle)

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 982
there is no loose panel... but to check the baffle part i can just stick some foam or rubber or something around the cutout and then drill the sub back into place to make sure its all sealed and check the performance then right?

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 949
Yea. I usually use silicone. (always have it, it does the job, and you can get it off)

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3782
It's a stretch, but could your speaker wires be slapping against anything in side the box?

How often is it slapping, and at roughly wat percent max excursion? As in, is it slapping when it's reaching high excursion.

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 983
yes the higher the excursion the more the noise... but i dont think the speaker wires could be slapping against the box because when i took the sub out the wires were entangled within the polyfill.... i cant wait til i get my SX so i dont have to question its non working lol.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3784
Have you talked to Chad about it?

It's not the sub bottoming out is it? Only other thing I could think of, is if the vc is screwed up, so it sticks out too far in the gap and rubs. Nothing else makes sense.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1172
trevor,

i just thought about something...does the popping sound you hear sound like metal clicking? kinda like a "ping"?

if so, you could be sending that sub a REALLY clipped signal.

i did that w/ my brahma 10" once...you see, an XBL^2 sub is a VERY clean sounding sub and even if you send it a slightly clipped signal, you might not be able to hear real noticable distortion...the sub wont "complain" about the clipping... but when you send it a REALLY clipped signal (dam near a square wave) it might make a "ping" sound.

(this info came straight from adire tech support...i called them up the day my brahma made a "ping" sound)

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 984
i dont understand how or why though.... im using a JL 1000/1 one of the best amps available... with the gains set accordingly. and i dont think its like a ping... more like a slap slap slap! lol and the box is 3/4 inch mdf. with 4 bracing boards 2.165cuft it should not bottom out .. i didnt even have the bass boost all the way up. oh and one thing to recognize is.... when i brought it to the shop and the idiot turned the gain to like 1.5V and my HU is 8V that was the loudest the sub has ever been, without that noise... it was in that same box too. and now when its about half that loud it does that noise. oh and with the gains set so low you would think that would be an extremely clipped signal right? so it cant be that... and joe, yeah i guess i'll talk to chad n maybe send it in... i just dont know what else to do..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us