No need for head unit?

Username: Insanemonkeyboy

Warminster, Wiltshire England

Post Number: 1
Hi all,

Legend has it that you don't really need a head unit if you run your MP3 player off the amp. Does this work?

I am currently drooling over the Alpine Type R speakers and i don't want to splash out over £100 for an alpine head unit (which i don't think are very good for the money, plus i wouldn't really use it).
I also have another query which conerns this product from alpine:

SPR-17LS
6-1/2" (16.5cm DIN) COMPONENT 2-WAY SPEAKER

The picture has two tweeters included with two 16.5cm's AND two small amps. ANy1 know i these are actually included? If so, why? Two small amps for the speakers?! Wierd.

Thanks All.

Jonny

Denis_A
Unregistered guest
I think your looking at a component set of speakers. the 2 small amps you see are actually crossovers. your headunit or amp plugs in that and the crossover divides the higher and lower freequencies to the 6.5" speaker and tweeter.

Post Number: 3
Oh i see. Just re-read it. Hmmmmm. I have a slight problem then. These speakes are like 70w rms each and i want to be able to run them off a head unit (possibly with 2 55w type r 6x9's) Or, i run the 6x9's off an amp shared with a sub. But can a head unit do the bridging from 4x50 to 2x100? If it can and i do this, won't the two 6.5's at the front have less punch than they would if they were run through an amp?

I am one confused bloke.

Thanks for the reply Denis.

Denis_A
Unregistered guest
the best way to do it for a good budget system is get yourself a good 4 channel amp at around 50w RMS to 100w RMS and run the front component speakers with 2 channels from the amp, and run 1 sub with the 2 other channels (bridged) of the amp. and if you get 6x9 for the back, your headunit can take care of that with its 2 back channels (usually around 20w RMS). and forget about the headunit front channels.

oh and I would not play with bridging the headunit channels together.

hope this helps, and i'm sure someone else can elaborate on this. i'm just an amateur compared to a lot of guys here.

Post Number: 4
Thanks for the advice,

I'm still very confused with setting my own system in general but i am waking up to things a bit.

I just wish i could go into a shop and say 'I'll have a Alpine Type R PACKAGE for my car please, ad ft it PRONTO!'

The spec i would want is as follows,

SPR-17LP
6-1/2" (16.5cm DIN) COAXIAL 2-WAY SPEAKERS

SPR-69LP
6"x 9" (15 x 23cm) COAXIAL 2-WAY SPEAKERS

SWR-1222D / SWR-1242D
12" (30cm) Subwoofer (2Ohm+2Ohm / 4Ohm+4Ohm)

HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT THE AMP (or AMPS).
ALSO HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT THE HEADUNIT, something with an aux for my mp3 player (hd-3 walkman)

But it doesn't look as if i'm going to get away with just one amp though. I'd be amazed if there is a shop that anyone could point me towards that has this sort of bundle!

Thanks again,

Jonny

Post Number: 5
oh and also, say you have 2x55w speakers running on say a 2 channel 120w amp. There is 10W spare, is it bad to have spare wattage? Potential for blowing the speakers?

Oh and i take it that if you try and run 2x55w's on a 2x50w amp, it wouldn't work.

These are the two i mean,

SPR-69LP
6"x 9" (15 x 23cm) COAXIAL 2-WAY SPEAKER

AMPED BY:

MRP-T220
2/1 CHANNEL POWER AMPLIFIER

It does say something about the amp capable of doing 2x70 when on 2 ohms but can the 6x9's be run on 2 ohms.

AAAAAAAAA. I am confused like mad.

Thanks again for your replies Denis.

Unregistered guest
well, i'm not an expert at this but speakers usually only run at 4 ohms.

so lets say you find front components that can handle 70w RMS @ 4 ohms. so you would have to be looking for an amp with at least 2 channels that can do around 70w @ 4 ohms each channel. speakers do have some play in them so it usually doesn't hurt them if you put for example 80w RMS to them. and all speakers can run with lower wattages like 30w RMS but they might not sound at their best.

Now, with Subs, thats where different ohms make a big difference. Go to rockford Fosgate's website here and it will show you how to set up an amp and subs with different ohm settings.

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/wiringwizard.asp

hope this helps

oh and you can always google something like "car sub ohms" or car audio ohms" and get tons of documentation.

thats how I learned to make sure I get the best value for my current system.

Post Number: 6
brilliant, i'm starting to understand this ohms business! Right, a bit of reading......

Cheers Denis, just realised you're not even a member. Well you should, cheers!

Jonny
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us