My 12" MT

Silver Member
Username: Acevolkov

Springfield, Missouri United Stated

Post Number: 124
ive been driving around with my new 12" MT, and ive been playing it for about 15 hrs now, and i have been noticing a very loud slapping right behind hte dust cone at any volume. Of course, the slapping gets louder the more excersion the sub produces. I am running 1200RMS to it for now, then more later, just wanna break it in. What is the slapping, and will it stop, can it be fixed?

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1096
how far is your sub moving? could be lead slap...

take the sub out of the box and run it in free-air...watch it and see it the lead wires are hitting the back on the cone or the spider when the sub moves.

if they are not hitting the cone or spider...you could have a loose dust-cap.

Silver Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 945
marshal could you explain lead slap more. what exactly is happening and why would it be happening?... this seems similar to the situation of my avalanche

preciate it thanks

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4402
What kind of box do you have? What amp? What is your MT's configuration?
I have 15" MT and no problem what so ever. It took a lot more than 15 hours with mine. For 3-4 weeks, the bass wasn't as accurate nor smooth. Now it's starting to produce deeper and clearer bass. It's not a SQ sub, but it sure sounds better than lot of other subs at high volume.

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 914
I want one...

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1098
Trevor,

lead-slap is basically when the tinsel leads on your sub hit the cone or spider when the speaker moves...this usually happens when you push the sub too far excursion wise (ex: you play a 25hz tone to a sub in a box tuned to 32hz w/ no subsonic filter)

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 951
oh okay then thats not what was happening to my avalanche.. i had ti in a sealed box and i would play rap music not tests which im sure none of it goes that low. besides. there would be no reason for it to do that out of no where right? because it used to sound great. plus its not as loud... conclusion: blown

Gold Member

Post Number: 4412
One way to test it. Open up the box and check out the VCs.

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 952
ihave taken it out... but im not experienced in that category at all... what exactly am i looking for?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4414
Visual inspection first, then measuring the VCs. Applying some load on each VC separately, and then together. If you have a blown VC, it will show up.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3756
Push up on the cone far enough untill you can see a good chunk of the voice coil. If anything's wrong with it, it should be pretty noticeable, if you know what your looking for.

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 954
what am i looking for? lol
n how would i measure the VCs?

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3758
Use a dmm on the voice coils and make sure there is current flow.

When your lookint at the voice coils, just look carefully at the strands. Make sure none look melted or broken off and strayed out from the winding. When you blow a sub it's pretty noticeable. The voice coils are all melted and usually burn through the dust cap.

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 956
i should be ordering a dmm soon.. tomorrow i'll inpect the sub and take a look. thanks, 'preciate it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us