CDA-9853 alpine

Unregistered guest
I just bought a CDA-9853 alpine and 2 days later it stopped opening, so I got my CD stuck inside, all the head said is CLOSED when I touched the open button, so I took it back and got it replaced, the guy at the dealership said it was the first Alpine Cd player that ever gets returned, anyways the CDA-9853 alpine replacement 30 days later does the same thing. So I have my Cd stuck again. Is there a recall on these players, now I cant play anything, the face wont turn. What should I do?

Username: Bhumi44

Ahmedabad, Gujarat India

Post Number: 8
Dear sir,

We have this service manual in stock.
kindly contect us on info@bhumitapes.com or bhumi44@rediffmail.com

thanking you
kirit shah

Tired of Busted Alpines
Unregistered guest
Mine is doing the EXACT same thing. My first one quit opening two weeks after I bought it, and now I'm on my second one. This morning it wouldn't open either, and it's only been 10 days! Did you figure out what the problem was?? Everything else works fine, it just won't tilt or eject my CD's.

Anonymous

Same thing happened to me. I called the Alpine customer service line and they guy refused to admit they're having problems with the 9853's. He kept trying to tell me these are just isolated incidents. I too, have gone through 2 of these units...doesn't sound isolated to me....

TCP15
Unregistered guest
The exact same thing happened to me today when trying to eject my cd from my cda-9853. It started off working ok for the first week or so then became a little flakey ejecting cd's only once in awhile. Now it will not tilt down at all. I've always used Alpine and hate to go looking elsewhere but i may have to if i cant get this resolved. Anybody have any suggestions?

Anonymous

I just want to say that I too have had the same problem with my unit. I took the first one back after a week with a CD stuck inside.. I just installed at new CDA-9853 last week, and now that one won't open either. Anyone want to start a class-action? :-)

Zmonk
Unregistered guest
Try turning the internal amp off (POWER-IC) if you don't have any speakers directly hooked to it. It's a royal pain in the butt but give it a try and let it cool down overnight. If you can't get to that menu remember to scroll all the way to the left and hold down the button for 3 seconds to display the rest of the menu selections to get to the internal amp on/off POWER-IC setting (you'll know what I mean if you're having trouble finding the POWER-IC setting). The setting is buried but follow the instructions in the manual.

The next day, remove the face and place back on. Make sure it's on properly and press the eject button VERY FIRMLY. This worked for me and it's working perfectly now. I still can't adjust the friggen clock. Man this Glide system SUCKS. Alpine - What the hell were you guys smokin?

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1401
After 23 years of Alpine use I'm glad I went Clarion. Sounds like Alpine build quality is going downhill fast.

-Fishy

Tired of Busted Alpines
Unregistered guest
The guy at Hi-fi Buys said that apparently one of Alpine's suppliers was giving them shoddy parts. Supposedly they fixed the problem and units manufactured in June should be defect free. That's just what I heard. I ended up getting the Pioneer Premier 770mp instead...

Another broken Alpine
Unregistered guest
I wonder if this might be related to their whole swing face series. I purchased an Alpine CDA-9851R two weeks ago and it worked perfectly for six whole days before failing to eject my CD or tilt the face. I've since reset the unit, removed it from the car over night and it still doesn't eject or tilt.

I'm now going through the motions of having the head unit replaced, but judging by all the messages I'm reading posted about the internet it looks like this will just happen again.

Unregistered guest
Hi guys,

I started using 9853 for about 2 weeks before my cd was stuck inside. The face plate does not flip down despite the display showing "opening". I went back to alpine service center in singapore and they claim a mechanism was serviced. I paid 50 bucks for it because mine is an export set without warranty. Then after that the same thing happen. I know the answer. The reason is you should not off the engine ignition with the CD inside or else the memory will be lost and the HU does not know a CD is still inside. Thats why the face place cannot tilt down. However u can still play the disc that is stucked inside.

When my 9853 was stucked 2nd time, I went back to the shop which I buy to exchange for a 9855 topping up $210 for it. To my horror, in the same day, the CD was stuck again the first time I tried turning off engine ignition with CD inside. The same problem as 9853.

I went back to alpine service center again and luckily they help me take out the disc free of charge. They claimed it is the problem with the motor mechanism (too weak) and they changed the parts to a stronger motor with higher power. But now I know what is the cause and I dont dare to try with engine off and CD inside.

I tried connecting both ignition wire (red) and battery wire (yellow) together to battery terminal +. Now I can leave my disc inside and off engine and it works as normal. But now I can also switch on the HU when engine is off and I will risk a flat battery if I leave it on carelessly.

Hope my post help some of you. The only way to prevent cd stuck is connecting it the way I connect or change a HU different series, not 9851,53 or 55. For those with stucked cd inside, the only way to take out is to go back to the alpine service center, pressing whatever buttons doesnt help, they need to open up the screws and casing to take out the disc.

Anonymous

"For those with stucked cd inside, the only way to take out is to go back to the alpine service center, pressing whatever buttons doesnt help, they need to open up the screws and casing to take out the disc."

I don't know about you, but my CD was stuck and then eventually ejected the CD the very next day. I don't think your experience is exactly what everyone else is experiencing. I have the cda-9853 and I leave my CD in the unit all the time and it ejects just fine. At the time I was having problems, I did NOT have the speakers attached and I carelessly left the POWER-IC setting on and I believe that was my particular problem. After turning off the POWER-IC (internal amp) all my problems went away. I was later told leaving the internal amp on is a huge problem when not using it w/speakers attached. Again, the problem still could be a defect within the unit BUT I must say after turning the POWER-IC to OFF I am not having a single issue with the unit now.

Username: Masterdell

Post Number: 1
". After turning off the POWER-IC (internal amp) all my problems went away. "

What about the people who are using the POWER-IC?
How can we get our CDs out?

Anonymous

Well if you're using the internal amp then it's definitely defective. If anyone is using another amp to power their unit they can try turing the power-ic off. Sorry just trying to instill some hope to those who may not have thought of the power-ic and don't use it...

Also, don't think for a second Alpine doesn't know about this problem.. Call any reputable Alpine authorized dealer and they will know of this problem... If you didn't buy it from them they will fix it but it will run well over 100 bux.. Anyway, this is typical for Alpine.. Anyone remember the defective face plates back in the day with the defective back light???

xdrummer03
Unregistered guest
Yeh the IC had some stuff to do with it. If you bought one of the 9855,9853,or 9851's and doesnt have a yellow sticker next to the bar code take it back.

Anonymous

I was lookin to buy the CDA-9853... After reading this, i would guess that it might not be a very good idea? Well anyway, what would you guys recommend to be a good alternative for around $300-$400?

Bronze Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 95
Go with an older Alpine. Last year's models are much better. CDA-9833 or CDA-9855. Good luck finding one, but they're well worth it.

xdrummer03
Unregistered guest
Jake considering the CDA-9855 is from this year. Man you should get the 9855 its the damn jam now that they fixed it. More options than anything out.

Bronze Member
Username: Zneon

Durango, Durango Mxico

Post Number: 20
Hey, get 9833, it has most, actually every feature you'll need, I have had it for 1 year and never had a problem. Don't put the screws too tight, turn off the POWER-IC if not in use. BTW, newer designs suck

xdrummer03
Unregistered guest
Outphase if you turn off the power IC it will not have any sound.

BassKadett
Unregistered guest
Anyone have problems with the GlideTouch? The number 2 position on mine died after 3 weeks and I had to send it back to who I bought it from and now it is on its way back to Alpine for repairs. I haven't had any problems with it ejecting cds, but I can't have this happen again. I'll probably end up selling it, cutting some losses, and going back to Pioneer or something.

First time Alpine user not happy.

Silver Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 662
Be aware that this isn't a very good first time user unit.

BassKadett
Unregistered guest
Well I kinda figured that one out. I finally stepped up to better SQ with Alpine and everything else is crap.

dkim
Unregistered guest
anyone have the 9853 turn of and on on then while listening to it?. I had mine replaced b/c the face wasnt coming down, now when i got the replacement and plugged it in, the face comes down but it turns off and on every now and then. Also I use TDK media to make mixes of MP3s and after a little bit they will start to skip and progressivly get worse. Both the HU's have had the skipping problems. Is it the media Im using or what? Has anyone had this problem?

xiaogary
Unregistered guest
(See my previous post above)

hi, after 2 months no problem with my CDA 9855 after my attempt to wire it in a special way. My method doesnt work anymore.

I was using power-IC on all these while in these 2 months, I can off engine and can eject CD no problem. But yesterday, I bought a new rear speaker and power it using amp, then I switch off power-IC. Then it works for a few time, until today it got stuck again.

My wiring method works until today for 2 months. I am going back to Alpine to ask for a permanent solution. 2 months ago, I never go back to them becos I thought my wiring methods works, but seems like my wiring methods have loop hole, like accidently losing the connection of the red and yellow wires, then the Cd will be stuck again.

Unregistered guest
check for bad solder on the motor. I just hit my dash and mine opens right up. Too lazy to open it up and re-solder the motor.

Username: Turboteg

Longmont, CO US

Post Number: 4
I worked at a Alpine Dealer. All the swing faces this year have that problem. If you look on your box and there is a green or blue dot sticker by the serial number those have been fixed. You should have one warrenty if you have your reciept youn can return it to any Auth. Alpine dealer. My store had a master carton of 4 9855 every single one was returned for that exact problem. If you have any questions let me know

Username: Tomd

Does anyone know if these problems have been resolved? It's July 22, 2005 and I had decided on this unit until I read these reviews.

Username: Turboteg

Longmont, CO US

Post Number: 8
I know they fixed 9853 and 9851. The 9855 is still back order

john alfred
Unregistered guest
i went back to Tweeter (who installed my 9853) last week and they reset the unit (for free). The face then was opening for a few days. Then it stopped opening. I read this board and realized that this is not an isolated incident. Just went back and they said that they will replace the HU tomorrow (assume it is for free as well). The guy said that there have been nothing but problems with these units, and that there was almost a recall. Perhaps I'll get lucky. . .

cooldude7
Unregistered guest
I have the same problem too! i got it for 3 weeks and the face stop flipping down!!! I just called Alpine and that guys said..."oh. that's strange, never heard that before... anyways.. just send it in..." he didn't give me any confirmation number or anything.. just send it in... is that reliable?

Username: Manupil

Post Number: 3
I have a 9851... after 2 month..stop flipping down! For me it's the first time that i use Alpine and i'm not happy. When the problem has fixed, the car stereo become normal use??

(sorry for my english. Greetings from Venezia)

Username: Paulhaniak

hi i have bought the alpine cda 9853r today and got it fitted to my citroen c2 furio!!! and the clock doesnt seem to work propely it doesnt move on in time it just stick at the time i turned my car on at i can mess with the buttons to update the time however the clock time doesnt move again. anyone else had these problems?>?? if so will u get in touch with myself with help email me at paul_haniak@hotmail.com

Anonymous

I think I found a saolution. I had the same problem for a week or so with my CDA-9853R. Just yesterday I tried the following:
1) Turned off the stereo
2) Detached the head
3) Re-attach the head
4) Double pressed the eject-button (fast)
and it is ejecting normally ever since...
I don't know if this made it work again... but I thought I should share it.

Unregistered guest
I am having all kinds of problems with my Alpine 9851 it will not tilt. Ironically when you hit the eject botton to put in a cd it tilts up which covers the cd slot. so you have to hit the eject botton twice. I am just furious!!! I have taken back to the authorized dealership were I bought it twice. I would really like to get it replaced. I don't know how to go about getting it replaced any suggestions??? pls email at Trisha48@hotmail.com

Unregistered guest
Its my first Alpine. I got the 9851. It was great when I got it and still sounds good. I have external amps so I dont use the Alpines power. I cut that off. I never use the tilt for fear that it will malfunction. Well its been 8 months now and 3 days ago I cant get my cd out of the player. It wont eject. 8 months means I cant even return it. I feel like Ive wasted $300.00 for half a year of music. I still have my old kenwood from 1995. its still working

I just went outside after posting this and repeatedly tapped my eject button about 3 times, I did that about 3 times, (3 quick taps about 3 times) [tap tap tap. pause tap tap tap, pause tap tap tap pause] . then I heard it sound like it wanted to eject. I tapped it once more and it ejected.

m1keinmass
Unregistered guest
I'm having the same problem. I just called the dealer that I got mine from and they won't replace it. They said the HAVE to send it for repair. Alpine won't do swaps. Is this true or am I being yanked?

technik
Unregistered guest
Has anyone experience problem with 9853R or 98855R? Apparently the "R" version supposedly the newer version!

AlexV
Unregistered guest
One week? Wow, you guys are lucky! Mine worked for all of 3 1/2 minutes before the GlideTouch gave in :-(. I just got to see how good it sounds and then it died :-( I got my CD out, but the head unit is unuseable without Glide Touch.
I am REALLY, REALLY CUT!

318is
Unregistered guest
never had an issue with my CDA 9835 - other then all the functions :-) New series sound nothing but issues :-(

AlexV
Unregistered guest
Yes, because the 33 and the 35 don't have glide touch. That's where the whole problem comes from. And I think the new ones were also built in a different factory.

Unregistered guest
God, this is f*cking atrocious. Mine is two and a half weeks old... this happened one hour into a six hour roadtrip from LA back to Phoenix. I had just popped in a new CD I took a chance on at Amoeba and it wasn't very good... listened to the whole thing and was mighty surprised when I discovered I might be listening to it for the next SIX GODDAMN HOURS.

Luckily, the deck felt sorry for me and spit the disc out. Now it won't open at all.

Worst news? I can't locate my best buy receipt nor locate my deck keys. What can I possibly do? "toiletvictorious" on AIM if you have any suggestions :/

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 665
im glad i opted for the 35 .. i knew alpine would have nothing but problems from that stupid glidetouch idea, what moron thought that up? even if this disc problem didnt occur how long could this glide touch bar accually last, durability wise in the long run?.."And I think the new ones were also built in a different factory." i believe they were to,, the built quality seems ,much cheaper than last years... im a big alpine fan but REALLY NOT impressed this year with there headunits as well as there amplifiers... even there type R speakers are a downgrade IMO this year.. not as clear and the midbass seriously lacking (subwoofers are great however)

Unregistered guest
I recently purchased a 9853 and it has a green dot sticker by the serial bar code.. its works great for a week now.. I use the glidebar without no problems. I mostly always use the REMOTE control on all my CD players.. so hopefully I dont break mine.. The features on this deck are awesome!! this deck beats the hell out of my past 3 JVCs in sound qualitiy and clean power.. Im running 11 speakers TOTaL... 6 are being run of the alpine Internal power..(2) 3 1/2" blakpunts, (2) 5 1/4" Rockfords, & (2) 6 1/2" pioneers.. then I have a MRV-f357 alpine 5 channel running 3 sets of preamp to it.. My 5 channel is pushing (2) pioneers 6x9, (2) kenwoods 6x9, and a 15" rockford fosegate HX2 sub ALL in boxes.. Ive had nothing but a awesome experience so far.. If any thing breaks I'll leave a updated post.. I can also turn my volume to MAX without a drop of distortion from any of my 11 speakers...

Unregistered guest
I am having probelms with mine syncing with my sub. I got mine from the dealer, a bozooka tube for my scion xa and the piece of crap doesn't work! Also my ipod isn't picking up from the sub either! I am highly pissed off at that. Anyone have any thoughts on this I would really appreciate it. Thanks

MisterMorse
Unregistered guest
I've had my 9833 for a year now and I am very very happy with it. I have yet to find a better head unit equal in price (in my opinion). I'm sorry to hear about the problems with the ejecting and Glidetouch. When I first saw them advertised I was seriously thinking about selling mine and getting the 9853. The first time I used the Glidetouch on a demo model I was very disappointed. It worked, but I expected it to have a much higher quality feel. On top of that they yanked the V-power internal amp out and put in a standard one. If you can find a 9853 NIB for sale and you have the money buy it.

LM

Daddymac
Unregistered guest
WOW...I can't believe all the problems they (Alpine) appear to be having with the new models. I was almost set on upgrading my Blaupunkt HU to the 9853 (ONLY b/c it has WAY more features)...But after reading all this I may have to go to a clarion.

The only thing is that I heard the Clarions over heat pretty easy...true?

Nick_sq
Unregistered guest
Looks like you all shoulda picked up the 04' models and waited for the bugs to get out of the new stuff. I would reccomend a cda-9833 or 9835 to anyone before a 9853 0r 55
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us