Hey Glass or Jon, need help setting crossover point for CDT HDs!!

Silver Member
Username: Jbailey

Indianapolis, Indiana

Post Number: 172
Hey guys, I have a set of CDT HD braxials in my 2002 Civic Si playing along with an IDMax 12. My question is what would be a good crossover point for the HDs (installed in factory door location)? My headunit has a HP crossover point of 78 Hz, is that pretty good or should I go lower/higher using the amp crossover? I have also been using the 78 Hz point for the lowpass on the sub too. Does that sound okay? Thanks very much for the help.

Bronze Member
Username: Kyle_allen

Post Number: 29
Hey Justin, where did you get your braxials at? Thanks,

Silver Member

Indianapolis, Indiana

Post Number: 173
www.lightav.com

Great guy to deal with!! Give him a call and he should be able to hook you up with any CDT product (or any other brand he sells).

Hey Glass or Jon, any thoughts on my original question? Thanks.

Silver Member

Indianapolis, Indiana

Post Number: 175
bump

Silver Member

Indianapolis, Indiana

Post Number: 176
bump

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4792
Bump the mids up to around 100hz, and see how it sounds. What you're aiming for is a smooth blend, go by what sounds best to you as it will depend on your specific car among many other things. If the mids play to 78 well, try dropping the sub x-over down to 60 or so. That will help your imaging out.

Silver Member

Indianapolis, Indiana

Post Number: 177
Hey Jon, thanks for the advice. Do the HDs usually perform well down to 80hz or do they usually work better when crossed over a bit higher? I recently bought two new amps (PPI AX400 and Zapco 500.1) to replace my PG Xenon, so once I get them installed, I will try to experiment a little and see what sounds best. Thanks buddy.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4802
They'll perform well to 80 if you mount them solidly and deaden the door. You can keep experimenting until you get the result you're after.

Username: Mmmg

Post Number: 8
i have cdt CL-61A to which i am providing 100 wrms. Will these component speaker work at 80hz HPF crossover setting. WHere shuld i set my LPF for the subwoofer. Whats the safe max frequency i can set for a sealed subwoofer. Shuld the speakers HPF and subwoofers LPF frrequencies overlap. I mean if the LPF on subwoofer is set at 80 hz shuld the HPF for the front speakers set at 80hz...or else can it be set at 100hz or more. What abt the frequencies in between. will they vanish..please help me in setting the crossovers on my amp ...thanks

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4804
"Shuld the speakers HPF and subwoofers LPF frrequencies overlap. I mean if the LPF on subwoofer is set at 80 hz shuld the HPF for the front speakers set at 80hz...or else can it be set at 100hz or more. What abt the frequencies in between. will they vanish..please help me in setting the crossovers on my amp ...thanks"

They shouldn't overlap at all. If you cross the sub at 80hz and the components at 100, for example, both will roll off at a given rate (depending on the slope of the crossover, which is 6db/oct, 12db/oct, etc.), and both drivers will combine output and frequency response will ideally be flat. If you set them both at 80, what will happen is that both drivers will play at 80hz, causing a bump in frequency response at that point. Usually, rolling the sub off at 60-80hz with an 18db/oct filter, and the components at 100-125hz with a 12db/oct slope will yield a pretty flat response in a car. That's just a starting point, though, and you should experiment to see what gives best results in your application.

Username: Mmmg

Post Number: 9
thanks for the reply......what is this 18db/oct filter..how do i set this..In my amlifier theres a setting called bass EQ which is rated from 0-24db. Is it what the db/oct filter snd slope ur talking about or its just bass boost. Theres no such settings in my head unit(eclipse 3414). It just has bass and treble setting.. Can i change the settings on my amplifier.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us