88 Sable door speakers

Pilgrim
Unregistered guest
I have an 88 Sable. I bought and installed a HU that came with two 6" speakers. My system sounds fine, but I tried to install the 6" in the doors and find that no sound comes out when they are wired up. Any Help? BTW, is there any way to boost the radio reception? it's kinda bad.

Silver Member
Username: Tbone

OK United States

Post Number: 165
Check the fader on the HU, then check your connections, did you use the factory wiring?

Pilgrim
Unregistered guest
Yeah, but I use some wire to extend from the factory wire to the speakers, and I know that the wire works. I would imagine my fader would have to be set somewhere in the center, because if I fade to one side, isn't the other side going to be neglected?

Silver Member

OK United States

Post Number: 172
No, fader is front to back, check it. Balance is side to side, let me know.

Pilgrim
Unregistered guest
Yeah, I realized that. sorry for seeming amateur. Umm, but it didn't work. I don't know what the problem could be, other than the wiring is not getting signal from the HU, and if that's the case, I'm up Crap creek without a paddle.

Silver Member

OK United States

Post Number: 184
Don't worry, its probably not the HU (hopefully). Hook another speaker to your door connections and see if it works, or a test light. If they work, its the speakers. If not, undo the connections where you added the new wire and try the speakers/test light there. If it works there, its the new wire. If it doesn't, the HU outputs maybe out. Also, check the ground of the HU, since you say your reception is bad, see if that helps.

Pilgrim
Unregistered guest
I did check the ground, because it's weird, the radio that was in before was grounded to the car, and then of course the ground wire to the electrical system was neglected. Well, long time ago when I got the bright idea to use that wire, the recpetion got better, but not like I want it to. So I got an idea to ground the stereo to the car and the electrical system and it got a little better but still not too good. As far as fading goes, I'm thinking the HU doesnt even deliver power to the doors, which means a new HU would be in order.

Silver Member

OK United States

Post Number: 203
Try this first, some HU will switch all power to the fronts if no speakers are hooked to the rear outputs, so switch your door speakers to the other outputs and see if they work.

Pilgrim
Unregistered guest
Yes, they do. I did what you suggested and I hooked them up to my home speakers, so I'm positive they work. I also checked the new wire, and they work, so I'm getting suspicious of the original fac. wire.

Silver Member

OK United States

Post Number: 216
Yeah, bypass it and go directly from the HU to your new wiring. Since they work on the rear outputs, it probably is in the wiring, even the wiring that you added. I would be questioning all the front wiring.

Silver Member

OK United States

Post Number: 217
Do you have a test light? Try testing the wire or pins straight out of the HU, and if it lights, your HU front outputs are good.

Pilgrim
Unregistered guest
I'm sorry for such a long delay, I actually ordered another HU, so I'm going to install that one today and then break down my door (AGAIN!) and test the speaker and wire again. So please keep posted.

Pilgrim
Unregistered guest
ok, so here is the deal. I bought a new HU, 160 Watts (pyramid) and I installed it. After I installed it, I don't think that I got my money's worth, because the HU I had before (durabrand) was 60 watts total. ON some songs, it used to shake my car (good thing). Now I can't put this change on the speakers, because I have 120 watt 3 1/2"s in my dash and 800 watt 6x9s in the rear. Shouldn't this HU bring me to a new age of sound in my car? By the way, I tested all my speakers and wires and they tested ok, so I am going to assume that it's something with the factory wiring.

Anonymous

No head unit has that much power. Honestly, Pyramid head units are far short of spectacular anyway. Also, RMS (Continuous) power is what is important, not max.

Pilgrim
Unregistered guest
The guy doesnt know what he's talkin about, but to Tbone, YOu rock! My system is now complete, I had to rewire the speakers directly from the radio, so I thank you for you time and OBVIOUS patience.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us