AMP HELP!

Username: Mrgalindo63

Chicago

Post Number: 6
i have a 91' Buick Century. My alternator is 96A. And recently i put in a 1200 BOSS Ripper 4-channel to power two 12" DVC 4OHM 800w BOSS Ripper subs. I parreled the subs, and I am running the amp on to channels. My first question is: Is there anything wrong with my setup and is my alternator able to support it with no probems?
2: My lights dim a little, but not a alot and i don't want my electrical system to out on me. So what should i do to solve this problem? PLeeze help!!!

Silver Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 667
Dimming lights & a voltage drop (if u had it measured) would indicate that more current is needed . If u play it hard alot then some upgrade is necessary .

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4308
Get HO alternator or turn down the volume. Dimming lights are there to warn you that you have power problem.

Bronze Member
Username: Pelon777

Post Number: 25
Try getting a capacitor....i think it is 1 farad for every thousand watts. I thnk in your case a 1 farad will woek really well. Hope that works.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4309
Actually, a cap won't help. There has been many posts reguarding this. A cap is only as good as your alternator. If it can't supply the power, then a cap can't do much. A cap only stores energy, not generate it. Battery is the same, it releases stored engergy.
Therefore, when your amps demand high current, the only thing that actually generates power is the alternator.
You first take care of the alternator then add a cap later, not the other way around.

Silver Member
Username: Jaackdeth

United States

Post Number: 633
Listen to Isaac, I went through this many times, get a HO alt. The problems then all go away!

Chicago

Post Number: 7
I don't think the amp has crazy power though. I was thinking about changing up some wiring and getting an Optima Deep Cycle battery yellow cap. and an extra capacitator.? Because i don't know anything about HO alternators.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4311
You add up the cost of Optima ($175), extra cap ($50) and it'll equal the cost of HO alternator ($150 - $250).
HO alternators are like your stock, the only difference is, it produces 2x - 3x the current when needed. It'll even look almost like your stock unit too.
There are many other uses for HO alternator. For example, if you wanted to add 4 super bright headlights/spotlights in your car, they eat up 30A - 60A of current. With HO, you're covered. A stock alternator will not be able to supply enough power for them.

Chicago

Post Number: 8
I don't think the amp has crazy power though. I was thinking about changing up some wiring and getting an Optima Deep Cycle battery yellow cap. and an extra capacitator.? Because i don't know anything about HO alternators.

Chicago

Post Number: 9
okay, now where can i find a place that sells HO alternators in Chicago? What else do i need to know about the HO alt? Is there anything else that I need?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4315
Look under Accessories. There's a post already on HO alternators and links called "Please help."

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us