GlassWolf - Dynaudio

scb
Unregistered guest
I saw that you have a 3 way Dynaudio set in your Charger. What size is each speaker and where is each speaker located?

Bronze Member
Username: Rearden_metal

Post Number: 18
Here are the specs, he will have to answer for speaker placement...

System 360
Three-way; set includes MW 170 8i½ MSP one-piece cone woofer with 3i½ aluminum voice coil, MD 140 3i½ soft dome midrange with 3i½
aluminum voice coil, sealed and acoustically damped rear chamber, and MD 100 1.1i½ neodymium dual-magnet soft dome tweeter, plus
all hardware, grilles, crossover and accessories.Audiophile quality crossover (X 360) is adjustable for three different tweeter operational
modes. Phase correct, shallow slope crossover. Die-cast basket. Frequency response: 40 Hz - 25 kHz; 92 dB sens. 200 watts continous.

Bronze Member
Username: Rearden_metal

Post Number: 19
That is...8", 3" and 1.1"

http://www.dynaudiousa.com/products/car/3way.htm

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4778
Short answer about placement, the midrange crosses over at 700hz, it needs to be as close to the woofer as possible for coherent imaging. Either that, or processing. You could either put them in the door right beside the woofer, or you could do the 8 in the lower door and the mid in the kick panel, but it requires a lot of attention to positioning. They're not an easy system to get just right, but once you do the results are wonderful.

scb
Unregistered guest
"the midrange crosses over at 700hz, it needs to be as close to the woofer as possible for coherent imaging."

So the 8 inch speaker plays from 50hz to 700hz and the 3 inch speaker and tweeter play from 700hz and up?

Why do the 3 and 8 need to be close to eachother?

What if the 3 and the tweeter were close to eachother and the 8 was a few feet away?

I have been thinking about and asking several people about installing the 8s in the doors, the 3s on top of the dash in a custom enclosure facing the listeners and the tweeter in the apillers also facing the listeners...with carefull consideration to positioning of the speakers of course. I have never seen it done but, as far as I can tell, it seems like a good idea.

What do you think?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10374
Jon got it. my 8s are in the front lower portion of each door, and the mid and tweeter are in glassed pods in the kick panels so they all end up within inches of each other with the doors closed, and they're aimed.. but it was a bit easier in my car just due to how large and open the front passenger compartment is.. I can place speakers without much interference from the car itself and still get decently long signal paths.
I have doors on my car that rival a bank vault for thickness though, and the 8" midbass drivers aren't that deep.. so it's not like mounting an 8" sub in a honda door.. even with my power windows and locks, it wasn't too difficult of a fit.
Dyn also uses sealed drivers, so rear baffling isn't as vital to their response.. neither is protecting the back sides from weather and such.

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10375
the reason they need to be close together is that Dyn uses a first order crossover network and the midbass crosses over well into vocal ranges.. so if you want a smooth blend from midbass to the small midrange driver, they need to be close together for a good point source. Otherwise you'll perceive the separation between the two drivers and it'll ruin the soundstage and imaging.. and just sound bad.

scb
Unregistered guest
Have you ever heard of the XTC baffles? If a speaker isn't sealed, would it be a good idea to use them? They have some good reviews and some bad reviews.

GlassWolf,

What do you think about my idea on mounting the midrange on the dash, tweeter in the apillar and midbass in the door?

scb
Unregistered guest
^^^

If the midrange and tweeter ran off of the same crossover and the midbass was crossed over independently.

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10394
the xtc baffles are good for keeping water off the ofe tpeakers in doors.. they don't "seal" a speaker from air though, so they don't act like an enclosure like some people seem to expect.
I've used them in other peoples' cars.

as for speaker positioning, you can always give it a try and see how it sounds.

scb
Unregistered guest
GlassWolf,

When you used the xtc baffles in other peoples cars, did you find that they had any effect on the sound?

scb
Unregistered guest
GlassWolf,

When you used the xtc baffles in other peoples cars, did you find that they had any effect on the sound?

Are they more likely to effect the sound of a certain kind of speaker than another?

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10412
no big effect on the sound really. they're just foam, so they do breathe..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us