Ford premium sound

Bronze Member
Username: Randy420

Post Number: 71
does anyone know where i can get i amp bypass for a 1997 ford explorer sport..i already have one but the connectors dont look the same as the amp ones( i mean the size, not the male/female clips)

i their is none for mine, how would i make one my self or what wires to do

THANKS...i will post a picture of the bypass harness
image/bmpUpload
premium.bmp (15.2 k)

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 459
ahh, you were the person who was talking before about this right? I guess you found the amp. Anyway lets face it, its a '97 Ford, you're not going to resell it if its in usable condition. compare the colors of the wires coming into and out of the amp with the wires the stock speakers were connected to as well as the wires coming form the HU. If everything matches up logically, I'd just cut them and reconnect. If the colors are all different, I'd just rewire it...which is what I'd do regardless. Oh, by the way, why didn't you see if it fits already?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 72
yeah i opened it up...i can bearliey put my hand to connect them, but i will try again...one side of the amp connector is square and the bypass is rectangle.. i think i will cut a hole in the plastic to get to the wires and make a cover..

thanks...and yeah i was talking about this befor, lol

Bronze Member

Post Number: 73
well i just came back from the audio store, and the guy looked at my ford amp connectors. he said he never saw anthing like that befor..he told me to rewire all my speakers, or bypass the amp my self. i think i will bypass pass it instead..

i am probly going to have left over wires, do i just tape them up, and take out the fuse?

Silver Member

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 463
that whole plastic panel comes off and you'll have easy access to the amp. I had to unbolt a few things, unscrew a few screws and pop out a few plastic clips but it wasn't too bad. You'll need a set of torx wrenches though. 50 is the biggest size used I believe. As for bypassing the amp, that would definately be easier than what I did, but you'll have to figure out the wiring scheme. I didn't really take the time to notice how it was set up because I had no intention of using any of the factory wiring at all and I don't have my car here to look at now. you may have left over wires, i'm not sure, but there is no fuse that I'm aware of. Once you unclip the 2 harnesses from the amp, nothing is connected to it anymore so if there is an internal fuse, you don't need to worry about it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 74
well i decided to just rewire all the sreakers..i couldnt get through the right front door so i just tried to find the two wires in the trucks main harness and all the others are all new wires going to the deck..it took me about 2 hours to finish everthing..

to take off the panel would of been to hard...i had 4 seat belts to take off,lots of bolts,and some i could not get at.

Silver Member

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 468
There is a way to get through that plastic harness in the driver door. There's a small hole in the cornor of the harness big enough for like 16 AWG wire to make it through. thats what I did.

Username: Shugga

Post Number: 1
im in the same boat right now. Id rather try and bypass the amp just need the wire diagram to know which are the right speaker wires.

Silver Member

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 483
guess and test? :-)

dddd
Unregistered guest
all you have to do is go to best buy and by the correct wire harness and there you go just make sure you get it for premium sound

Silver Member

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 489
we're talking about an external amp, not the head unit...

Unregistered guest
Do you know where to get the factory audio wiring guide for the 97 explorer w/ premium sound?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us