How do you measure SPL?

Bronze Member
Username: Spittin2rock

Post Number: 45
I want to know the SPL score of my cousin's hookup. His hook up is 2 cheap generic looking 12" Bostwick subs and a 600 watt Rockford Fosgate amp. He has a ported box that make them hit a hell of lot harder than a sealed box that he had. Basically, I want to know where you go to get your SPL measured. If there is a simple way of checking it right from home I'd like to know also.

Bronze Member
Username: 350_blaze

Post Number: 36
Do you really want to know? Easiest way is get it metered. But, I used this caculation to figure out db's from a single sub. [glasswolf correct me if i'm wrong] You need 3 specs of the sub. [fs],[vas],[qes].
The first part of the problem is,
efficiency=9.64 x 10^ (-10) x fs^3 vas/qes
you take that answer wich is [no or efficiency] and do part two.
spl= 112 + 10 x log (no)
spl=answer from above in db's at 1watt/1meter

This should be right. You can use this for side by side comparisions with wich sub will have more spl.If this is correct [wich I'm pretty shure it is.]alot of manufacturers are lying.If there isn't 3 of these factors[vas,qes,fs]on your spec sheet don't even bother with what they got for db's.I did this with two different subs that I heard on the same amp,same car, same box, and the louder one tested out by ear and, calculation and, meter.So, it could very well be true. hope this helped.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1761
take the car to a local shop that has an RTA, and get the system metered.
only way to really know.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us