Why do people hate on MTX so much?

Username: Vuyodaddy

Post Number: 9
Hey so when I just started shopping for a sub for my car, I stopped by Cartoys and the person helping me was saying how MTX's weren't bad, but no "high-end audio store" would carry them. Then my other friend was dogging on MTX because one of my friends was planning to buy it. My question is, is MTX really that bad? I haven't seen much discussion on their products in the forums, and even though I've already made my purchase (Alpine Type R's!!), I'm still curious.

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2853
Well, I like there amps, but there subs aren't anything special. The 9500 series is pretty nice, but rest is mid class. Not crap, but not good.

Bronze Member
Username: Vuyodaddy

Post Number: 11
Yeah, my friend was saying how his friend at Circuit City was going to get him the best MTX subs on the mainstream market, saying how they were competition subs (forgot the model #) and would outbump my Type R anyday. Hasn't even set his system up and already talkin smack.

Course, we all made fun of his broke azz afterwards.

So hows MTX's "top of the line" subs in terms of SQ and SPL? I'm assuming they bump, but how clean does it sound? Sorry, I know this must be a very general question.

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2856
The 9500's are there top of the line subs.
The 10 inch is close to a JL w7, but anything abuv that, the JL's walk all over them.

Silver Member
Username: Mikechec9

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 839
i personally don't like commercial subs. the smaller companies have something to prove. commercial subs are more or less established. they rely more on pr/advertisements.
and the low blows and cheap shots that mtx has been tossing at JL are degrading imo.
i'm not a fan but i'm still waiting to hear more about their new components though.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9800
personal opinions?
MTX makes great amplifiers, on par with Kickeer.
Their subs and components are middle of the road down to entry level, but fair for the low cost.
Nothing that drops my jaw, but they work, and they hold up.

For the money though I do know better subs.

Bronze Member
Username: Astrosafari

Delhi, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 18
the mtx 22 is pretty nice there is NO sub that will beat that. unless sum 1 comes out with a 23 inch sub
wouldnt mind having 1 myself. what about the comparison thing mtx has on there website?? is that just comparing the crappiest things that the well known brands make?

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3556
I wouldn't use the stupid Jackhammer if you paid me to...

Blt
Unregistered guest
hey corey brookes a local shop near me has a 34" audiobahn sub.
http://www.jammincaraudio.com/images/photos/bigsub.jpg
http://www.jammincaraudio.com/projects.htm
here a pic but i seen it in person and its huge!

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4605
"and the low blows and cheap shots that mtx has been tossing at JL are degrading imo"

MTX compares to JL because JL is such an establised brand, they have won so many accolades, been in so many IASCA winning competition cars, and garnered so much praise by competent reviewers that they are in the place everybody else wants to be, being the one company that all others are compared to. At one point in time (may still be true), over 30% of IASCA competitors at finals were using JL subs. Out of hundreds of manufacturers out there, that's a substantial amount. Even Adire Audios Dumax comparison uses the 10W7, in which the 10W7 holds its own quite nicely, being flatter in BL up to around 18-20mm of excursion, dependant on which direction you're comparing to. The 13W7 has a flatter BL curve and a longer stroke than a Brahma does. The tradeoff with JLs design is the inductance, which isn't horrible at all, just not as low as a Brahma. Even RE sacrificed inductance for longer stroke and higher BL, and it works for their intended purpose.

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2858
I'd take a DD 9917 over the MTX , or audiobahn any day.

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 841
yes. jl was THE sub to have back when the w6v1 was out, and the same exists today to a large degree. but the newcomers have closed the gap significantly and even philes are asking to use adires in the lanes. they just werent big and rich enough to sponsor anyone this past year. even scott buwalda was inquiring.
this was done by consumers using the product and spreading the buz. no 50 cent plugs, master p plugs, or x gamer plugs necessary. just quality and reputation there of. no huge "antisub" campaigns required.
JL will continue to make great subs, but their reign is done. at best, they will be sharing the spotlight. the best mtx can do imo is keep prices down in order to remain competetive (as they have). hey, works for audiobum.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4608
Yeah, I'm considering using a W1v2 in my truck, not a lot of space behind the seat of a regular cab Ranger, 10" W1v2 is just under 4 3/8" deep and works well in a .625 cu ft box. Still a squeeze in a Ranger, but doable, not many companies have subs much shallower than that. I was impressed by the SQ of that sub, very good entry level sub, SQ wise it's between a W3v2 and a W6v2.

Silver Member
Username: Quickshot

Charlotte, North Carolina U.S.

Post Number: 207
i have the mtx 9500 sub and a mtx amp and their amps are really good...as for their susb their lower line subs are average...soudn decent and get fairly loud but their nothing spectacular..now as for the 9500 its an above average sounding sub that gets slightly louder than the W7 but of course it doesnt sound as good...now you just have to ask yourself what exactly do you want...if you want exceptional SQ then you better look somewere else...now if you want loud sub that still sounds good and you can get it for cheap off ebay then you can look into the 9500

robert r d r d
Unregistered guest
mtx is a pretty good company the subs are decent the 9500 sub is pretty good
they make good amps im not sure about the speakers they make
but they got the jackhammer which is the loudest single sub setup but for that amount of money u can blow the jackhammer away with less volume area less power less wieght and allloooottt less money

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 842
the 9500 is the only mtx i respect. ever. but it still doesn't sound as good as an rlp and its over 100 dollars more. and that's on ebay.
i still agree though. it's a decent sounding sub that plays very loud. and it looks beast.

Silver Member
Username: Justintoxicated

Post Number: 148
Jonathan Wouldent a 10" Koda fit, sound better and get louder than a W1V2

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9827
ok back on the original topic, just as an example for price per sub comparisons heads up, compare MTX's offerings to the RE RE12 and SE12 and SX12 at $77, $169, and $249 each respectively.
The performance and aesthetics of the RE subs is hands down superior. That's just a singular example off the top of my head.
As for that Jackhammer, at $7,500 I could buy a couple of RE MT18 subs, AND the ampmifiers to power them, AND buiid enclosures for them, and decimate that Jackhammer 22" sub, using less space in the process. That sub is pure "bling factor" and nothing about actual car audio performance.

"now as for the 9500 its an above average sounding sub that gets slightly louder than the W7 but of course it doesnt sound as good...now you just have to ask yourself what exactly do you want."

see this is a good comment, since the W7 is designed for SQ and high excursion.. not SPL. MTX tries to compare the 9500 to the W7 as an SPL sub based purely on "numbers."
Honestly if all you want is cheap SPL, grab the 9500, but don't for a moment think the 9500 is THE best sub when comparing the two on paper just because MTX's website has better numbers on some specs in the TS parameters with two 10" subs.
Put the two in enclosures (non anechoic) side by side, and I'd bet hard cash the W7 would be the sub almost every person would pick in a double blind comparison using their ears and any musical reference material they chose for the comparison.

Silver Member
Username: Zacdavis

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 229
Oaktron.

MTX came later, they brought the Terminator, Eliminator, Cranker, and Blue Thunder lines, all of which I thought were great.

At the time Pyle pounders, Petras, Savard, ect., were the only other woofers comparable to MTX.

Then MTX came out with the Black Gold, and Thunder series. The Black Gold series woofers and amps were truely works of art. The thunder series left something to be desired honestly. The Thudercast for instance was way under dampened, much to heavy moving mass. Clearly the suspension was much to loose, especially with thier enormous motors. Not to mention the surround were itty bitty, but then again this was a point in time during the new era of super woofers birth. rockford fosgate had a similar woofer with the same problems, thier power series had surrounds with less than half the linear excursion of the damper. This resulted in woofer failure, the cones would rip loose from the surround.

But to MTX's defense, with thier devotion to super woofers, they spawned the innovation of many models from numerous companies and has helped lead us to where we are today.

An anology could be used with music, Rock and Roll of course would still exist, however, without Elvis or the Beatles, it wouldnt be what it is today.

MTX deserves much credit for thier dedication to car audio.

Silver Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 327
Seems everybody wants to compare an orange to a lime to a lemon to a grapefruit - all are citrus , true & make juice but each is for a different purpose .

& i too said it before & fully agree with what Glass said on that stupid Jackhammer & what u can do a whole lot cheaper with the same amt of ca$h . Its a marketing gimmick . BTW - who wanna be the guy to lift & install a 300 pound + sub - lol ......

Silver Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 843
i'd throw that b*tch! lol

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4635
"Jonathan Wouldent a 10" Koda fit, sound better and get louder than a W1V2"

It would fit, although it's a tad deeper, but I've got an old 300/4 laying around that I plan to run a sub off the rear channels, and the Koda isn't as efficient. My Dynaudios and ID Max don't have XBL^2 and you don't hear me complaining, but I wouldn't complain if they did either as long as it was just as effective :-). Sounding better is subjective, but there is a difference between linear and non-linear distortion, the latter which I feel JL and ID tend to excel over Adire, IMHO. XBL^2, while a very effective topology, isn't the end all, be all way to get a high BL curve, like I said above, the 13W7 is actually more linear than a Brahma, has a flatter BL curve, and has a longer stroke. When you're not a big basshead and are listening at normal levels it is non-linear distortion that matters more anyway, though. Louder, I don't really care.

I'm still chunking around ideas though, I may do a custom center console if I find some bucket seats, but I'd have to go to the work of relocating/remounting the shifter. It's mainly a bum around gas mileage truck, and I've got an old 300/4 and a set of JL Xrs laying around that I haven't put to use in a while and I'm up for something different, not looking to spend a ton, just seeing how far I can go with one amp and minimal cash output :-). I've got some ideas for it, though, I'll post pics of the install as I finish it, going to take a while with work, though.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us