Installing a new system in my car, looking for help.

Username: Krazii

Post Number: 1
Hey all, new to the board. Was reading around and got a lot of useful information.

Just bought a 2005 Mazda Tribute, and want to get a nice system going in there.

So far this is what I'm looking at:
Receiver: Not quite sure, wanting to get some suggestions.

Front Door: Infinity Kappa 50.7cs(5-1/4")
According to Crutchfield, I can get two of the component systems, put one in the front doors, and a set in the rear doors. Is that a good idea or not?

Amps: Not quite sure, hoping someone can steer me in the right place. Thinking: Infinity Reference 7541a to power the subs. It is 111W RMS x 4 Car Amplifier(278 watts RMS x 2 in bridged mode). Also thinking another to power speakers. Again looking for advice there.

Subs: Was thinking about getting 2 Alpine Type-R SWR-1242D.

Wiring: No idea.

Also an IPod adapter will be a must. If anyone has any experience with them, help there will be great.

Any suggestions, help, etc would be greatly appriciated. Only put a system in one car before, and it was all mainly xplod stuff. Wasn't very happy overall and I see that a lot of people are big on Infinity, so I want to give them a try.

Thanks a lot!

Username: Racerx3165

Tyndall AFB , Florida USA

Post Number: 8
Rear doors dont really help all that much imho unless you sit back there :-) As for subwoofers right now Kicker comps are buy one get one free so its less than 100 for 2 12's. Infinity speakers sound great, but i would go listen to some at a local car stereo shop and see what your ear likes. Im going for Mb Quart this time around, just love the sound they make when provided the right power. As for Head Units im at a loss myself right now im tossed between a few alpines and rockford fosgates but everyone keeps saying get eclipse so i cant help yah there.

Silver Member
Username: Quickshot

Charlotte, North Carolina U.S.

Post Number: 206
head unit: either Alpine or Eclipse (RF head units are iffy at best)
Speakers:those infinities are good if you use an amp for them if you dont then theyll be a little dissapointing
Amps:that infinity will get the job done and for the subs look into something like a MTX or Kicker amp
Subs:those Alpines are pretty good you can also look at the Eclipse Aluminums

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9825
head unit: eclipse or pioneer premier. get one that has the features you want, has 3 sets of RCA pre-outs for amplifier control, and has your iPod feature or an optional adapter for iPod available.

speakers: kappa separates in front
kappa or reference coaxials in back. you don't need separates in back, as you want to keep rear speakers muted or attenuated so tehy don't ruin your front staging and imaging.
(see here: http://www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/rearfill.html )

amplifier.. Look at a 45x4 or 50x4 alpine amp.
much nicer than Infinity for amps.
Also to a pair of type R subs (go ported, tune box to 28-34Hz and it'll sound great) use the Alpine MRD-1000 (MRD 1001? I forget) that gives you 500 watts per sub.
get a pair of dual 2 ohm voice coil subs.. that'll give you a 2 ohm load on a mono amp for full power.

all set.

all you need then is a decent alarm system (local buy and install professionally) and the amplifier wiring kits you can get from knukoceptz.com

Silver Member
Username: Justintoxicated

Post Number: 149
I don't get that rear fill article. I read it and took it into account and bought co-axils anyways. Reason being that I could not use my factory speakers because they are 2 ohm, and are not even audiable with my front speakers amped.

I looked into getting Midbass drivers for rear fill, but everyone recomended against it. Plus most midbass drivers don't seem to like IB setups.

So the article really did not make sense to me. Cause it recomends midbass for rear fill witch requires a sealed box for best results, and then your passengers still don't get the full range of sound in the rear.

My Plan is to run the rears of the HU so they won't be very audiable except to passengers in the back. And leave my front Components amped.

Am I going horribly wrong this route glasswolf?

on my Eclipse HU CD5444 I cannot Fade the sound all the way to the front it does not allow me to fade front to back or side to side while still using time Alignment. So I hope I'm not screwing up my imaging, I might have to add a switch to kill power to the rears if they are too audiable.

I also wanted my rear fill because I like to be able to listen to music outside of my truck and my doors open 168 deg (almost a full 180). I can switch the Hu to Easy mode and fade to rear and have sound coming from only the coaxils and not killing my battery.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4619
If you are worried about passengers, then that rear fill article won't do you any good anyway.

If you want to go further in depth with the subject, I suggest these:

http://www.betteraudio.com/geolemon/phasing/phasing.htm
http://www.betteraudio.com/Geolemon/multiple/multiple.htm

Bronze Member
Username: Jron

Post Number: 95
might want to look into a ho alternator as well.

Silver Member

Post Number: 150
Shouldent the HU with time alighnment help with the phasing issues?

I hoping it will serve it's purpose as rear fill especialy when Camping and opening the rear doors. But they are not installed yet hehe.

I probably won't be able to hear them too much and the front will be noticably louder than the rear running off about 7-8 watts (11 watts RMS at full volume but I have my gain set on my amps to 2/3rd's volume)

I'm using DLS 426's for the rear so I can play with the filterboxes some also.

Silver Member

Post Number: 151
Oh yea the link you provided does not show up correctly on my comp, a big blue box with it's own text if pasted over the text on the page WTH lol.

Username: Infinity

Post Number: 2
hey i just wanted to know what kind of box i should use for my ford explorer i have 2 12 inch alpine type R"s vented or sealed??

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4626
"Oh yea the link you provided does not show up correctly on my comp, a big blue box with it's own text if pasted over the text on the page WTH lol."

Just click it, it will disappear.

Post Number: 3
hey what does everyone think of the new alpine type r"s

Silver Member

Post Number: 152
I hear they are quite good woofers and are underrated. Not bad for the price.

Post Number: 5
hey i put the 2 alpine type r's in a ported box today and tyhey are un believable.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us