Ok... question... serious...

Silver Member
Username: Thelonewolf

Post Number: 102
Ok this may sound stupid to everyone out there but... sound waves can be used for many many things including heating and cooling*cooling of ben and jerry's ice cream at the factory even* Now does anyone know if sound waves of any level/amptitude disrupt electrons? I want to experiment with soemthing and this thought hit me... any imput?

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3569
Not sure, but I have a feeling it would take a tremendous amount of energy to effect and electron with a sound wave.

Bronze Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

Post Number: 21
I have heard of people trying to purify water by using sound waves to kill bacteria and by attempting to remove the electrons off of calcium molecules. I am not sure what was used to do this however.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3570
Removing electrons from a calcium molecule would turn it into a different element. So far nobody has been able to change the structures of elements. If we ever reach absolute zero, we may be able to simple remove the electrons somehow, since they'd be stationary. God only knows how kind of energy would be released if somebody actually removed an electron from a molecule.

Bronze Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

Post Number: 22
That is what i thought but i wasnt sure..i think i read about it in my biology text book but i cant seem to find where...im still looking.

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 948
Removing an electron wouldnt turn calcium into another element...it would become a cation. As for what elements you could remove electrons from and how much energy it would require, you would have to look at elements postition on the periodic table and find its sheilding, electronegativity, etc.

I'm pretty sure you could use sound waves to disrupt chemical bounds, it wouldnt take much energy to disrupt some bonds. (ex: hydrogen bonds)

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3572
Ahh, your right. If you remove or add PROTONS, then the element would change. Adding or taking a way a couple neutrons would only make an isotope as well....

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 959
yep :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 105
yea, i know ben and jerry's uses sound to create refrideration. so im interested in experimenting with something new that poped into my head

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

College Park, MD

Post Number: 521
Its pretty hot in my room right now, I sure wish I knew what tone would make cold come out of my speakers...:-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 107
lol, not exactly that simple... http://www.acs.psu.edu/thermoacoustics/refrigeration/benandjerrys.htm here is an article about it...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us