4 channel amp

Username: Rkjones84

Post Number: 1
I recently purchased a 400 watt 4 channel amp, I plan to connect a 10" sub to it in a chevy s-10, I was wondering how i need to hook up the sub so that it gets the most wattage to it, the 10" sub is all i plan to hook up to it, I have never owned a 4 channel amp, in my previous truck i had a 2 channel amp and a 10" sub in which i just bridge the amp. But i dont have a clue what to do about the 4 channel amp.

Silver Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 209
Y did ya get a 4 channel for a single sub only

4 chan amps are for highs/mids/components .

Mono amps are for subs or u could have at least gotten a 2channel that is bridgeble into 1 channel .

The only option u can now do is bridge 2 chans into resulting a pair of channels & use 1 channel & leave the other empty or get another sub .

Username: Tj80

Vancouver, BC Canada

Post Number: 8
Bit new to this stuff... but couldn't you get a dual voice coil sub, bridge the channels on the 4 channel down into 2... and run one channel into each voice coil?

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 210
Well yes - if that's also an option if u got a DVC sub .

BTW - what specific amp u bought & what sub are u getting ? . Now that u know 4 chan are not for subs , y not keep that for highs/mids/components & buy a good mono for the sub(s) .

Post Number: 2
Well what if i go buy another 10" sub and bridge 2 channels for one and 2 channels for the other would that give me 200 watts into each speaker? i'm new at this

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 218
That can work . U still have not said which sub . 4 channel amps are usually Class A/B amps ,not very efficient for subs but for highs/mids .

I take it whatever highs/mids will be run off the HU !?
U need also to know about ohms & what type of speakers or subs to buy as in subs there single voice coil (SVC) & dual voice coils (DVC) , some come in 2 ohms others 4ohms .

Take a read here for details of classes of amps & genral car audio information www.bcae1.com

Post Number: 3
They are two 10" sony x-plod single voice coil subs, so if i bridge and make a pair of channels for each of the two subs, will they hit hard or will it be shitty bc 4 channel amps are class A/B amps, And yes the highs/mids will be ran off of the HU. The subs are the 60 dollar a piece ones from wal-mart I have no idea if they are 2 or 4 ohm, will that have a huge affect. Like if i do bridge into a pair of channels will it mess it up if its not 2 ohms or 4 ohms depending on which one im don't understand. I will only be using it for the subs.

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 232
If u need my help - I STILL NEED TO KNOW THE AMP'S MODEL NUMBER . C'mon & read up on that site i gave u , its too much for me to explain ohms & they do it so much better than i can .

Everybody on this forum curses SONY products so If its a low budget install try PIONEER SUBS - (i own a pair of 400wrms subs from them - only $55 each) very nice for the price u pay . Go to Pioneer's website & pick which model can work with your amp - i'm guessing a low wattage sub is needed .

http://www.discountsjungle.com/pits1260su.html

ONLY $36 !!!!!!

Post Number: 4
Well sony is what i got and i really dont care if "Everybody on this forum curses SONY products" i'm not into car audio enough to have a biased opinion about what kind of cheap speakers i'm gonna buy for a low budget build but i do appreciate your help... I figured out that they are four ohm and i can bridge into a pair of channels and use the 2 subs with that amp i got which is also probably an amp that everyone on this furom will curse. It is a legacy 4 channel 400 watt amp from wal-mart have no idea of the model #.

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 259
Well u can practice/experiment with what u got & later on when u are confident enough & got some more $ then upgrade everything . If u do mess up , then much $ won't be loss there would it .
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us