Amp suggestion between JBL and Sony

Username: Audio_guru

Post Number: 1
Hi, I am currently in India for 2 years setting up a call center. I have the following setup on my car:
1) JBL 606E components front and rear
2) Alpine 9833 HU
I am planning to add a 4 channel amplifier. Initially my thoughts were to bridge 2 channels for the sub and use the other 2 channels in parallel for the 4 speakers. However I was told that with this setup the amplifiers are prone to clipping. So the guy suggested I go for a 4 channel amp and brigde two channels for the bass tube and other two for the front speakers. I can not afford to add a mono block to run the bass tube right now.
I have a choice between Sony 504Z 4 channel amp for 100 dollars and JBL CS 50.4 for 200 dollars. The Sony is not prone to clipping but has 50 Watts RMS, as opposed to 67 Watts for the JBL. Please suggest how to proceed. I am told that the JBL CS 50.4 does wonders to the speakers but was not designed to handle woofers/bass tube. I can also split the budget like buying the Sony 4 channel amp for 120 dollars for the four speakers and buying a Sony 2 channel 502Z for 80 dollars for the bass tube. I know this is not high end to what you are used to in this forum, but suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2793
Go with JBL... much better quality, and most important, reliability. JBL is a much better brand. Sony has had problems with both quality, and reliability.

Post Number: 3
The JBL is a 4 channel amp, what do you suggest, bridge the tube and two speakers? Or bridge all 4 speakers and get a seperate Sony mono block for the bass tube?

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2795
Depends on the power ratings of everything, but bridging the 2 back channals to the sub, and the frunts to the speakers sounds good.

Post Number: 4
This is the power rating for the JBL:
Multi-Channel Amp Specifications
Amplifier Type: Multi-Channel
RMS Power @ 4 Ohms: 67W x 4
THD at 4-Ohm RMS Power: <1 %
Bridged RMS Power @ 4 Ohms: 143W x 2

What I ideally wanted to do was to bridge two channels for the sub and use the other two in parallel to run the four speakers. However I am told the JBL amp wont handle this and will clip, the Sony on the other hand can handle this but has an even lower power rating. So ideally in this setup I have 2 options:
1) Use the amp for 4 speakers and later add a mono for the sub
2) Use the amp in bridged mode for the sub and front two speakers... later when have the money add a mono for the sub, and run the rear speakers from the CS50.4 as well.

Which route do you suggest. Thanks Taylor.

Bronze Member
Username: Homegrowncam

Watauga, TX United States

Post Number: 39
JBL all the way!!

Bronze Member
Username: Suthurnlatino

Post Number: 33
Option 2 sounds the best for now. I don't really care for rear speakers that much, front is more important IMO.

Bronze Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 71
Better question, why use a bass tube? Bleh, I went to Circuit City one day, and they tried selling me one of those, instead of some MTX subs for a lower price lol, so I decided to be a little pr!ck hehehe, I may have turned the HU up on the wall REALLY high, just to prove to the guy that it's not what I wanted, needless to say, I never saw that bass tube back in the store again LMAO!

Post Number: 5
I have finally decided on the JBL amp based on the advise of the Forum. Now comes another question for you guys. The amp is giving 67Watt RMS for two channels for the components. And 120 Watt RMS bridged for the Woofer.
I have an option between two woofers:
1) JBL Bass Tube: 500 Watt (peak) and 140 Watt RMS
2) JBL 1000 B: 1000 Watt (peak) woofer with custom enclosure, 250 Watt RMS.

Since my amplifier can only power the woofer till 120 watts... is it better for me to go for the tube? Or will going for the JBL 1000 B give me better/tighter bass. Both the bass tube and the JBL woofer with enclosure are priced the same, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 73
Lemme ask you a question...Why a bass tube? You'd get much nicer sound for a decent sub.

Post Number: 7
But will my amp with the above specs have enough power to drive the sub? Since the bass tube is less power hungry, I was leaning towards it. Let me know if a 150 Watts RMS in brided mode amp can run a sub with 250 watts RMS? Or is it better to use the amp with a Bass tube that is less power hungry and requires just 150 watts RMS.

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 764
Hey. Sony is the SH!T!!!!!! My 12" Sony's and 2,000 watt Sony amp hit 210db below sea level!

Post Number: 8
But will my amp with the above specs have enough power to drive the sub? Since the bass tube is less power hungry, I was leaning towards it. Let me know if a 150 Watts RMS in brided mode amp can run a sub with 250 watts RMS? Or is it better to use the amp with a Bass tube that is less power hungry and requires just 150 watts RMS.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 75
LMFAO! You should see my Polk H-O-M-O, MOMO, not sure? system...My 20's hit &#8734; dB in outer space! Yea, you can hear it clear out in the Andromeda Galaxy. *Note*: I'm not picking on Polk users, feel free to do as you please, but IMO Polk/Infinity (Not Mentioned) are garbage, but rock on if it pleases you.

"Disclaimer: We should all hope and look towards the day where man realizes the sounds exiting his mouth are mostly complaints and a change occurs."

Bronze Member

Post Number: 76
&#8734; - That's the Infinite sign, but since the web doesn't like the Advanced Ascii set...well, you get the idea...

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 768
HOLY SHWEET!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us