Hey isaac!!

rideredder
Unregistered guest
I read a while back that you had a Mustang and your battery and alternator went bad, just wondering what year/style Mustang you had.
I have a Mustang and i've gone through 4 alternators and 2 batteries in the past few years because of my stereo. The last three alternators where under warranty still and they upgraded my alt ,i think to a 75amp, and they told me to buy a capacitor, so i did and haven't had a problem since. I know how all you guys say that a cap is useless but i still like having one just for the fact that i haven't blown and alt in a while and this one is probably not still under warranty.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4105
My Mustang is 1986 5.0L LX with short shifter, high gears, K&L high flow filter, 17" wide tires.
The battery and the alternator both died. Well I think the alternator was flakey first, then the battery went cause it wasn't getting any charge.
I've learned my lesson, the minute your alternator acts up, get it replaced. If not, you know what else will go next.
The stock alternator is 65A. That is not much nowdays but I guess in the past, the cars didn't have much electronics that needed lot of power.
The good thing with older Mustangs is, you can get 200A HO alternator for it at half the cost. Next year, that's what I'm going to do. That way, I can install high output head lights and other gadgets.
The capacitor will help somewhat, but it can also mask the signs of inadequate power.
If you like your car and the stereo, look for HO alternator. It's well worth the investment.

rideredder
Unregistered guest
yeah my stock alt was a 65A too, but i have a 93 LX hatchback with the 2.3L. where can i get my hands on one of those HO's. Autozone?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4121
Try 4alterstart.com or www.excessiveamperage.com. They both should have something for your car.
Don't let the moronic mechanics scare you. HO alternators install the same way as stock. Some of them like to charge extra $200-$300 just cause they have no idea.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us