Thiniking of buying a rockford amp???

Bronze Member
Username: Xkawn

Post Number: 71
well, here is my system

pioneer deh-p8mp (awesome)+ipod adapter

four 4" and two 6.5" jbl power series (they'll do for now)

soundstream xta480.4 highs and mids (good worth the money)

two infinity perfect 12.1 dvc (great subs, sound awesome and they pound hard)

"now for the rockford amp"

rf power 851s for woofers.

now, the fosgate amp pounds those perfects hard. sounds freaking really good, but. i played my music for about 30 to 45 minutes hard while adjusting eq and gains and stuff and then.........................................................no bass.i wondered what happened so i went to check the amp. i grabbed it and immediately yanked my hand back. that thing was soooo hot that i checked my hand for a burn. i'm glad it turned off before it melted. just freaking rediculous. i ran my previous system (albeit 5 years ago) on the punch series and loved it. now, the power series is they're top of the line models. i can only hope mine is an isolated case, but i doubt it. it works and sounds great. would be a really good amp if not for the extreme heating....

Clownass
Unregistered guest
Whats your question?

Rockford amps are junk...or close to it, unless we are talking about the older stuff. If you are going to use those subs, at least get a good amp for them i.e. Zapco, US amps, JL audio (slash) etc.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 72
the question was, "are you thinking of buying a rockford amp"? if so heres my two cents, basically. but actually, the amp sounds great and pushes some good power. uf i could keep it cool i would be happy. problem is, that i highly doubt that fans will do the trick due to how hot it did get.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4109
Kevin, fans will do wonders. If you look inside, there are lot of power transistors. They eat up very fast. The hot air gets trapped inside the case and has no where to go. So by installing a fan, it'll circulate cool air into it. The difference would be night and day, depending on how you install/design the vents.
Even a fan on the heatsink/fins is better than nothing.

Silver Member
Username: Riebread77

Post Number: 592
the entire outside of the amp acts as a heatsink so its going to heat up...fans will work wonders...don't forget that it is summer...trunks can get as hot as 160 degrees when sitting...and check your gain...it may be way too high...rockford isn't "junk"...they are good solid amps. not the best, but certainly not even close to the worst...

Clownass
Unregistered guest
I don't see "Are you thinking of buying a Rockford amp" anywhere in your thread...or any other questions for that matter.

Hence my question.."Whats your question?"

Bronze Member

Post Number: 73
it was a short review, hence "are YOU thinking of buying a rf". i have a rf power 851s. i just installed it. i can run at high volumes for about 40 to 45 minutes before it shuts down to protect it's self.

so as far as installing a fan, do i open it up and somehow install it inside the amp???? if so where can i learn how to do this????

Silver Member
Username: Riebread77

Post Number: 601
no because that amp has no holes...just put a fan or 2 on opposite ends on the outside blowing in the same direction...that will circulate the heat off the amp.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us