Question about reception

Silver Member
Username: John8x12

Post Number: 107
My car antenna is in a window. Since I have put in a new HU, radio stations do not play. I have checked/done everything. Nothing has helped. The radio plays fine outside of my vehicle.

Here's my question.

Around the same time as the new HU, I also tinted my windows. Since my antenna is in a window, could the tint be blocking reception?

Silver Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 799
Not likely. There must be something wrong with your antenna wire.

Silver Member

Post Number: 108
I hooked an external test antenna up to the HU and still no reception. So deductive logic (if I would have thought of it BEFORE this post) means it can't be the tint.

Any other ideas?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9542
well you either have a setting messed up on the tuner of that radio or your radio has a bad tuner..
if no antenna works, that tells you its not the antenna.

Silver Member

Post Number: 109
And this is where I'm dumbfounded. If I pull the radio out and hook it up anywhere else then it picks up stations fine. Same radio in my truck and it doesn't pick up stations...and the antenna isn't the problem.

That's why I thought maybe the tint until I remembered I tried another antenna. I put a reception booster on and now a couple of the clear channel communicaiton stations come in with minor static...for the most part, but even they can sometimes go out.

I'd take the truck back to the service department of the dealership, but they'd say it was the install, and I know that is not it. I'm just at a loss.

Silver Member
Username: Mikechec9

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 803
i would guess maybe a short in the connection at the rear of your HU.
perhaps they yanked the cable during install. "wiggle" it around and see if it maintains.
that's my guess, but a guess all the same.

Anonymous

ive found that if you barely put the antenna wire in the back of the radio it helps clear up stations

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9558
if it's non-metalic tint, it shouldn't affect reception. Is this FM you're having problems with?

Silver Member

Post Number: 110
Yes, FM. I haven't tried AM.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9586
if the problem only happens in the car with the tuner, I'm wondering if it's a ground issue.
the antenna or the radio/head may have a bad ground. the FM antenna relies on the body of the car to act as the ground plane. a bad ground can cause problems.

Anonymous

why is ground the common loose wire?

Silver Member

Post Number: 111
I haven't doublechecked the ground wire. Great idea! Now, if only it will help...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us