After an hour of playing CD player wont come back on...

Username: Kbs_caveman

Ohio

Post Number: 2
Okay heres the deal I bought a Pinoeer cd player. Model DEH-P8600MP. Exepsnive head unit

I then bought some Kicker KS65.2 Component Speakers. The cd player functioned quite well with the previous aftermarket speakers I had. Once installing the component speakers everything was working fine. For a while.

I noticd the volume would flicker down. An I would tap the back of my car where the other speakers were and it would come back on. (the sound. im not sure if this part is relevant or not)

Then after driving for like an hour the whole thing went dead. So i waited til morning for some daylight and checked all the connections. I replaced the fuse and it powered on. I started my car then it wouldnt power on again. SO I replace the fuse again to no avail. I respliced all the connections this time taking exceptional care and precision. I have no idea what else to check. I checked the fuses in my instrument and block panels. (One on passenger side and under the hood)

Any suggestions. Because the DEH-P8600MP is very expensive cd player and I dont want to send it back just yet. Im thinking about spending the money (100$+) to get it checked out by a professional at bestbuy or circuitcity but im not sure if I want to do that. Let me know please.

I have a saturn sc1 97.
DEH-P8600MP Pioneer CD player
KS 65.2 Component Speakers

I also have a KENWOOD KAC-8452 800w 4 Channel Amp Amplifier should I hook this up to power my speakers? Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9821
are these the 2 ohm components?

are you running more than 1 speaker per channel? (mid/tweeter doesn't count if there's a crossover)

may want to also check wiring, and tape everything up at the speaker terminals using electrical tape.
you may have a speaker terminal shorting out to metal in the car where the speaker is mounted.

Ohio

Post Number: 3
Yeah but would that cause the cd player not to even power up?

Bronze Member
Username: Deezel

Post Number: 45
I know no where near the amount of information on car audio that GlassWolf knows because I am just getting into the whole deal...

So this is all just me trying to help as much as I can.

But, your head unit is only meant to power speakers at a four ohm load.

If you hooked them up to a 2 OHM load, you could have potentially caused serious damage to the headunit. Would you run 1 ohm on a 2 ohm stable amp? No, because you would break the amp.

Same concept applies here.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9848
yup he's right.
a head unit isn't made to handle a 2 ohm load. that's why it's shutting down on ya.
time top but a small amplifier to handle the components.
you'll get much better response for the effort and cost anyway

Ohio

Post Number: 4
I have the head unit operating. The technician said it was a bad ground and he fixed it up real good.

But at high volumes my speakers still go in and out sometimes.. And a small amp would fix that? Because I bought a KENWOOD KAC-8452 4 chan amp. Would that bea good fix? I hope so because I already bought it.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9878
yessir, that should do the job, and give better sound all the way around..
you'll be happy with the upgrade. amplifying the components is always a big step up since you get more dynamic range and head room, more actual power, and less distortion with an amplifier and remember about 70% of what you listen to in music comes from the front stage speakers.. vocals, instruments.. pretty much everything but the sub-bass range.

Ohio

Post Number: 5
OKay thanks for the info. I just thought an amplifered wouldnt do any good if the head unit didnt sound good without it. (im referring to some of the distortions and sound skipping out.) Othe rthan that it sounds damn good.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9911
nope. amp makes a world of difference.
should stop the cutting out, and should clean up the sound. if your amp has a crossover built in, set it for high-pass (HPF) and set the frequency to about 100Hz.
that'll block low bass notes and prevent bottoming out, too.

Bronze Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 18
Besides, radios put out distored power when you turn it up to a certain point, the amp will send cleaner power.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us