Little bit of trouble...

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdrummer

Post Number: 519
Ok, it's finally done, I got my Volfenhag 5x7's in and my Kenwood KDC-X598 HU in, BUT I am having a little "friend" problem. My friend has Kicker CVR12's with 400RMS and like 86.7dB w/m efficiency. Granted, the overall sound of my car stereo has immensely improved due to the addition of the new HU, as the parametric has cleaned up the bass a LOT. So, I have two subs and for each doubling in power you gain 3dB w/m, so therefore I have two Volfenhags at 90dB efficiency so it's 93dB w/m all said and done. Now my friend has two of the Kickers so he is getting 89.7 dB efficiency if my math is correct. However his are ported so he is getting a 6dB increase per sub if I am correct, therefore an extra 12dB. So we're at...101.7dB w/m. Ok, I can deal with that. But I don't want to and I'm sick of my other friend saying that the friend with Kickers is SO MUCH GREATER, B.S. IMO. Now, if I were to port my speakers I too would get a 12dB increase therefore raising me to 105dB w/m as well as my 500W RMS (100W RMS greater than he has per sub). Now by all rights shouldn't my subs then get much louder than his? His sub box is also one made by the local install shop which concentrates on loudness over sq, therefore it just has one massive port on the side. I still want my sq, but I don't want a box over 100 bucks! Help me out here, and please correct my efficiency figures if they aren't so. And please, don't come in telling me about how Volfenhag is so less greater than Kicker and blah blah blah. The subs have been bench tested and shown to reach full specs just as Kickers are. So don't give me taht B.S. Also one last thing, my new HU has a SW LVL output control where I can raise output of the subs. Is that a bad thing to use? Or should I rely solely on amp power? In fact the only thing I'm not happy about is my new Kenwood HU clips at volume 30-33 depending on type of music, so I guess I need an amp for the door speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Hurleyblink

Post Number: 162
umm the sensitivity rating of the speakers doesnt mean anything once you get to a certain wattage, i have the cvr 12's and they are very loud, also power handling of a speaker does not mean anything it is just the way the speaker is designed and the motor structure etc. and yeah kickers WOULD blow some volfenhags away, thats an example of a poorly made speaker with magnet weight and phat surround (like audiobahn) and guy yeah i just gave you the blah blah bs....

Silver Member

Post Number: 520
Uhm, they don't have phat surround, in fact, that surround is equivalent to that of the CVR's! You're thinking of Volfenhags display series the ZX-4812 with the large surround, I have their performance series genius. I understand that whole surround crap having nothing to do with power, yet excursion. And yes, the magnet on both series is rather large, but the magnets on my Cerwin Vega V-15F floorstanding speakers with 15's in them have large magnets as well and hit bass peaks of 134dB at 6 METERS FOOL! I would appreciate some REAL help from Isaac or Glass or someone with more knowledge than the Kicker promotion artist here. Finally, if efficiency and power ratings mean ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, please, tell me, what part of the speaker helps determine output? I have a REALLY strong hunch that it isn't the frequency response, or the open air resonance, and it's definitely not the cone material, since paper is the king of all cones, putting aside it's lack of whethering durability. So are you telling me that if I had some Cerwin Vega V Max 12's that the Kicker's would still blow them away, when CV is a much more reputable company and has been for many years? Personally I think you are full of SH!T! So, could someone with some real knowledge help me here.

Silver Member

Post Number: 165
yeah u will get the gain ya baby port it to 34-35 hz / i nver said anything about kicker vs cerwin, mostly a subwoofers output is based on motor efficiency and motor strength,bl curve, x-max sometimes, etc, go ask glass you dont know what the hell u are talking about as i can see you are asking questions.

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Ky

Post Number: 4705
TB, see your pretty much completly right in a PERFECT world, unfortunently we arent in a perfect world so there is no way we can tell you db rating. Shawn please were here to help not bash. please leave him alone cause i dont see you helping to much. you are right though with what effects output. mainly though Tb, look at xmax and cone space. You need to determine how many liters of air is giong to be pushed around to see who is going to be louder, also, there are different cars. different boxes different wiring. there are 5,000,0000,90000000a0we09ui things that determine spl, unfortunently we cant help you to much. Other than that, sounds like a great setup man. I hope your happy with it lol

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 681
*Pulls up with his Eclipse Ti's pounding*

:D

Yea, if you port those to 32-36Hz, you'll get a significant increase...

Silver Member

Post Number: 522
That's what I was thinking Jake. I have my subs wired to a total impedance of 2 ohms and as far as cone area, I don't think I'm wrong in saying that designwise the Kickers and the Volfs aren't too different. They surround on them is similar in size as well, now when it comes to the internal guts of the sub, who knows, I haven't looked that hard.

Silver Member

Post Number: 523
" thats an example of a poorly made speaker with magnet weight and phat surround (like audiobahn) and guy yeah i just gave you the blah blah bs...." - Ok then, I was checking out the Sony Xplods just for the heck of it, and let's see, their magnets are very small! Are you saying that the Sonys would therefore be a better sub?

Silver Member

Post Number: 167
jesus give it up, its not the damn magnet, i was giving an example, its the motor of the subwoofer basically which tells you how it will perform. and no sonys would not be a better sub, you need to stop trying to win this cause u already lost, so lets just quit this because i dont want to patronize you i would rather help instead. okay

Silver Member

Post Number: 686
Just buy Eclipse :D.

Silver Member

Post Number: 524
Can we say, "TB is lacking in the funding dept. at the moment lol!" AKA, I need a job but can't while taking college classes and other afterschool activities during the school year. Although, I might be able to swing the ported box, however, how do you tell what the ports are tuned to? A lot of the retailers I've checked: Circuit City, Crutchfield, BestBuy, CarDomain, FROOGLE lol, Ebay, and so forth don't really say. Eclipse is slightly out of my range in price lol. However, I think one of these days I might upgrade my 12's to a nicer set, but what could I get for say, 150 a sub? Honestly, I don't see myself upgrading my Volf door speakers. I've heard many a few door speakers and personally, these sound pretty frappin good for what I paid for them. I challenge them to take on anything by Infinity, Sony, Pioneer, MTX, and any other top name brands that are sold widely, except ones like JL, JBL, and so forth. These things have awesome power handling IMO, so I think I'll be sticking with them. Really all they need is a nice 2 channel 175W RMS amp, and they'll be good to go, any suggestions? Thanks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 525
Ok then, one last thing, Subfanatic said that my figures would work in a perfect world, I beg to differ! Those figures I gave are the results of physics, and I don't think anything is going to defy those laws as to what is actually produced, however they can be altered for lack of a better word by their surroundings, but not cancelled out. If I port, I'll get the 12dB regardless, that's just how it works, but I see what he means about the fact that surroundings and wiring and so on play a part.

Silver Member

Post Number: 687
TB: you need the specs of the box, and of the port. And I run 4" Pioneer components right now, and they do fine for $45 speakers :D.

Silver Member

Post Number: 526
Well that's my point exactly, people put emphasis on names, and I don't think that's completely true. I have a friend who is a certified car technician and so on, and he's won his share of SPL comps. and dB Drags, in fact, that's how he got some of his spending money in his younger days lol. And in his opinion, (he's dealt with big names like JL, American Bass, RF, and so on) he says that my Volfenhags are not a bad speaker at all. In fact, he told me they are made by the same owner of DHD audio, and that they may not be the biggest name in car audio, but they are fairly respectable lately, since both brands have dropped a lot of their "bling" and come down to earth a bit, unlike Audiobahn lol. My point is, why do people bash stuff, especially those who haven't tried it, before taking a good look? Are there any boxes out there that tune down to 30Hz and lower btw? Thanks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us