Upgrading speakers

Username: Kod021

Gilman, Iowa United States

Post Number: 1
Okay, so I'm looking to upgrade from my stock speakers (finally!). I'm looking into some Alpine SPX-177R components. I have recently purchased an Alpine CDA-9855 head unit (Thought it was about time to upgrade from the CDA-9807). Anyway, my buddy has these Pioneer 4ways up front and 5ways in the back...and he loves how it sounds. He keeps telling me that for the added cost components probably aren't worth it. My question, for the price are the Type-X components that much better than say, Type-R coaxials, and if so...what amp would you recommend for those components. Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Jron

Post Number: 77
components are superior to four way speakers. you should have only midbass drivers in the rear, or not have any rear speakers at all. The system set up your buddy is running, is the kind of sound you would want in a home or movie theatre set up. you want your soundstage to seem as if it is coming from the front of you, not all around you. Some of the best audiophile systems do not even have rear speakers, and most rear speakers are used for "rear fill" at best. Go with the type r components and find an amp that matches up with the rms output of the component system. try alpine, kicker, infinity, just to name a few.IF you really want to get an awesome set of components try image dynamics or dynaudio, focal, infinity kappas etc. you may also consider some kick panels to ensure that the distance from the speakers to your ears (left and right) are as close to each other as possible.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us