Is a second sub necessary?

Username: Koojo

Post Number: 8
In the past I've only had one 12" sub. Recently, I've been looking into two 12" subs. Just wondering the difference between one and two subs as far as sound. Do two subs just hit harder? I know that bass doesn't double, because sound does not add up like 1+1=2 when you add another sub. I'm looking into the new 12" Alpine Type R subs. So wondering whether I should go with one or two

Silver Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 384
actually when you add another sub, you gain 3db

Silver Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 385
but your bass will not be as clean with 2 subs, but it will definitely be louder:-)

Silver Member
Username: Quickshot

Charlotte, North Carolina U.S.

Post Number: 119
by adding a 2nd sub thats a 3db gain...i would buy one more expensive sub(if you like alpine then get the Type X) or you can get one Alpine Type R and port it and its about as loud as 2 sealed

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4420
When you add another sub with the same power you applied to one, you get 3db.

If you add another sub and double the overall power, it's a 6db increase.

Username: Koojo

Post Number: 9
Quick Shot - I currently have the 12" sealed Q-logic box that holds one sub. I thought that sealed boxes made the sub sound louder..? Interesting. This sub will be in an inclosed area in the ported box for the one 12"? Never really dealt with ported boxes before. How do they change the sound coming out of the box compared to sealed boxes?

Silver Member
Username: Cnafets

Post Number: 112
A ported box increses the sub's efficiency at a given tuning. The longer the port legnth, the lower the tuning. You can also give the sub more power because the port controls excursion.

Silver Member
Username: Quickshot

Charlotte, North Carolina U.S.

Post Number: 126
the only problem i see with ported boxes is that they are larger than sealed so if you have limited trunk space then it might not work..also if your box is tuned too high and you run a lower frequency it will sound like @$$

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9195
adding a second sub with the same power now split between both will gain +3dB.. same as doubling the power to a single sub.
however, most people double the power when adding another sub, either by using a second amp, or by halving the load on the single amplifier, so you really gain +6dB that way which is roughly twice the bass (audibly)
double the audible volume is between +6 and +10dB.. depending on the scale and who you ask.

there's no real drawback to two subs other than space requirements and power requirements though
and of course, cost

Bronze Member
Username: Ucfsaxman

Oviedo/orlando, Fl

Post Number: 92
how much of a db gain do you get when you add a 3rd sub vs just 2 subs would it be about 1 1/2db gain? Just curious.

Silver Member
Username: Big_oso

Post Number: 400
Well how many more db is it if you keep the same sub and just double the power?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9229
same sub double the power is also +3dB (granted you're still within the mechanical limits of the sub of course)

as for adding a third sub, it depends on the power change going from two to three based on impedance or added amplifiers.

Bronze Member
Username: Camaro155mph

Post Number: 31
With a 1000 watt RMS amp, what will have more bass, 2 subs rated at 500 RMS each or 1 sub rated at 1000 RMS???

Is a bridged 2 channel basically the same thing as a mono amp?

Bronze Member
Username: Camaro155mph

Post Number: 32
Take for example:

2 12" type R's or 1 12" type X
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us