Kenwood X889

Username: Halby

Parsippany, NJ

Post Number: 3
I was wondering if someone has this headunit or knows how to operate it. I Just installed it and it is working fine except for the fact that I can't get it out of demo mode. I thought i was doing what the manual said but it doesn't seem to be working.

Anyone have any experience with this unit?

Silver Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 723
Try pressing the "DISP" button...

Parsippany, NJ

Post Number: 6
I'm pretty sure that's not it. I'm doing what the manual says and it says demo mode off when I'm done...then "demo mode" is still up on the face.

Sweet_vengence
Unregistered guest
take it outside and beat the holy hell out of it with a pipe. that will make it stop doing demo.

Silver Member

Post Number: 726
How long does it take for the demo mode to reappear? After the car has been turned off and back on again?

Parsippany, NJ

Post Number: 10
I figured it out, I needed to access the menu while in Standby to change out of demo mode.

Thanks though.

Silver Member
Username: Panache

Brenham, TX US

Post Number: 129
LOL @ Sweet Vengence!!!!!!!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Birdman420

Post Number: 31
What are the differences between this hu, and the new 25th anniversary xxv-001 hu, i mean besides the display, are there any other significant differences??

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
I guess what i really mean, is the new 25th aniv. edition, worth the extra cash or is it all goblydyguk??

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
uhh, this one --> http://www.25thanniversary.org/en-US/Product.aspx?id=2 . Thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 815
Wow, that's nice. I haven't seen it before.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
brand new, just came out, i'm trying to figure out if its worth the extra cash

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
She's purty: http://www.kenwood.be/kenwood/kenprod.nsf/0/2BCEFC2DA7EDDEEB01256FB000443381# , official site link, plus explanations of its features

Silver Member

Post Number: 818
How much more is it?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
Crutchfields price: Kenwood x889 - $449 Kenwood 01d - $579 ( http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/ProdComp.asp?g=62700&c=3&s=0&cc =01&pt2=0&ITM113KDCX889=on&ITM113XXV01D=on&x=24&y=6 ),
Ebay price: x889 - $230 ( http://search.ebay.com/x889_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8 ),
01d - $425 ( http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=xxv-01d ) whoa just realized how crazy the links look, oh well

Silver Member

Post Number: 820
It looks like the only difference really is the range of colors each unit can display...Also, the 25th anniversary edition might have better build quality, but I don't think it's worth it...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
I think i read somewhere that the build quality is different (i can't find that site now), but other than that i can't find any real differences besides the display, overall what is your opinion on the kdc-x889 (not the 25th an. edition)??

Silver Member

Post Number: 827
It's a nice headunit and it has a great deal of useful features. Though, I haven't had many good experiences with Kenwood in the past due to reliability problems.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
u know i've heard that too, but it seems now that u can't trust alpine, sony, some pioneer, and many others, so really isn't it just a shot in the dark w/ all of them???

Silver Member

Post Number: 834
Yeah, it's a shame...a lot of the brands you mentioned were great back in the mid 90's.

What do you think about Clarion?

Bronze Member

Parsippany, NJ

Post Number: 25
I have the x889 only for about a month so I can't yet comment on the reliability, but Jexxen is right, it has a ton of usefull features. I also have the KCA Ipod interface and the x889 is awesome with that b/c it displays multiple lines of text and lets you use Artist, Title etc. in the ipod.

So far nothing but good things from the unit.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
I'm planning on getting the ipod adapter as well, w/ the adapter u can only search through the songs, right, not folders or playlists????

I haven't heard to much about clarion so I don't know, this is my first aftermarket HU I'm buying for my car, so I've been doing some homework, and I've really found that kenwood has got what I wanted, although I did like the musicatcher idea, but I guess the public didn't.

Bronze Member

Parsippany, NJ

Post Number: 41
With the kenwood KCA-ip500 and the x889 you can search through all of the folders(artist, title, album), that is why it is the best IMO.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
wow i didn't know that, well i guess that just validates my choice, hey chris, where did u get your hu, ebay or a store???

Bronze Member

Parsippany, NJ

Post Number: 46
ebay about $260-290 I dont remember. But it was much less than stores.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
how was the overall experience, I'll probably get mine through ebay, but i've heard people talking about how less reliable and more problematic hu from ebay are, anythoughts on this?

Silver Member

Post Number: 922
The ones talking about headunits from ebay being "less reliable" have not done their research before buying in my opinion.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
well thanks for that, i've bought many other things on ebay before, but it seems people have some allegiance to certain online stores (crutchfields, sounddomain, etc.), any reason for this, just customer service??

Silver Member

Post Number: 924
Yeah, possibly. And those are the people that refuse to buy used. Therefore, they look on ebay at only the new units which are usually overpriced and can be found cheaper at online stores.

Bronze Member

Parsippany, NJ

Post Number: 55
For the x889 ebay was much cheaper than all of the stores I looked at. I think the lowest price I found at a store was in the low 300's somewhere.

Username: Binford

Post Number: 1
Hey Chris, can tyou tell me how you got it out of Demo mode? I just got the same unit installed and I can't figure it out. WHAT do I do once I get it in standby??

Bronze Member
Username: Ehostler

VA

Post Number: 35
From the 6th post of this thread

"access the menu while in Standby to change out of demo mode."

gpz1100
Unregistered guest
The 889/828 are ok units, but their audio manipulation sucks.

Any change in EQ setting kills the audio for an instant - how do you tell the difference in sound if it goes silent briefly..

Also, the DTA is front, rear, sub.

Makes no sense since there are two speakers in front, not equidistant from the listener. On competitor's DTA setting you provide a distance for each speaker from the listener..

Aside from that, it's reasonable in other aspects. The 3 line display is nice, as is the tilt & remote.

I'm considering the pioneer deh-p860mp as the next HU to try...

Bronze Member

Parsippany, NJ

Post Number: 59
Jeff L...To get out of standby if I remember correctly you press and hold down the FM/AM stick and that brings you to the menu. Then you press up/down on the stick until you see the demo mode option and change it out of demo mode by pressing left/right.

I think this is how you do it. If it is not lemme know and I will play around with mine again.

Username: Binford

Post Number: 2
OK, I got it FINALLY. The manual is just plain confusing.

For the record:

Put it in Standby mode.
Bring up the menu.
Scroll to "Demo Mode: ON". HOLD down right button till it changes to OFF. Every OTHER option in this mode can be set by movin the little joystick L or R. This one requires you to press and hold.

Username: Mikeycogneto

Post Number: 6
wow this is the only site you can get away wit talking about holding your little JOY-STICK down & actually b helpin someone else out...lol

Username: Jspatriots

Post Number: 8
hey guys i am having alittle trouble trying to find a faceplate for my 889. Mine got stolen and the couldn't get the unit out so i want to just replace the face but all the parts suppliers want over $200 for just the face. Any help would be great

Bronze Member

Parsippany, NJ

Post Number: 82
Did u check ebay?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us