Voltage output level

Username: Spoto

Post Number: 4
Hi. I'm in the market for a new head unit to replace my old Eclipse 5332 and have pretty much decided on the Pioneer DEH-P860MP. I'd like to by-pass my "sub-processor" (Alpine ere-g190) and go straight to my amps from the head-unit. Only problem with that is this unit states a voltage output level of 6.5V and I've confirmed with MTX that my old Thunder amps will only accept up to a 5V input. MTX even stated the pre-amps would be fried if sent anything higher than 5V. My question then, is there anyway to lower the voltage from the head-unit without introducing an EQ or other signal processor in the path?

Bronze Member
Username: Audioguy22

Post Number: 59
Its not likely you'll ever get to 6.5 volts or even 5 volts unless you
turn the volume up all the way. If your really worried than get the 8600, I thinks its only 4 volts out.

I'm running an 860 with SS amps that have a 4 volt max input and all sound great.

What ever you do, please post how you like the sound of the Pioneer.

BEATLE53
Unregistered guest
FACTORY SPEAKER OR 9.6 OHMS,, CAN I REPLACE THEM WITH 8 OHMS SPEAKERS, AND CAUSE NO PROBLEM?

BEATLE53
Unregistered guest
FACTORY SPEAKER OR 9.6 OHMS,, CAN I REPLACE THEM WITH 8 OHMS SPEAKERS, AND CAUSE NO PROBLEM?

Silver Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 979
Sam: I've had the same problem. You can get a dual-ganged potentiometer and hook it up directly to the RCA cable. This will allow you to adjust the voltage accordingly.

Benny brought up a good point. The 6.5v is maximum output and will only be achieved if you're driving the system at full volume most of the time. You could possibly get away with it if you just listen to your system at moderate volume.

Beatle53: Yes, you can replace them.

Post Number: 5
Thanx Jexx and Benny-B. I didn't realize Pioneer had a Premier and "other" line nor did I realize how similiar the 8600 was to the 860. Looks like the only difference is 4V vs. 6.5V, no Pro mode, and only a 1 year warranty. I was specifically interested in the 13 band eq, auto-eq, and 18db/oct. crossover on the low pass and both units have that. I think I'll just stay safe and go with the 8600. Only thing missing that I'm having trouble finding on a unit is an auxiliary input??

Thanx again, Sam

Bronze Member

Post Number: 63
You can buy an adaptor that will give you line level in.

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=Pioneer+CD-RB10&num=100&hl=en&lr=&newwindow= 1&client=safari&rls=en&sa=N&tab=ff&oi=froogler

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
One more thing, before you buy the 8600, no this! I dont believe
your worrys about the output voltage are a valid enough reason to
downgrade from the 860 to the 8600. Also the 860 comes with a
Mic and a pink noise generator and will auto adjust to you car,amps
and speaks. Best of all, It works really well! For a HU that only cost
$350.(Ebay) it has alot of bang for the buck. I've owned many Alpines, Panasonics, Sonys and others and nothing sounds better
than the 860 I'm now useing! Dont get me wrong, there most likely
much better HU on the market for a whole lot more money.
I for one think anyone would be hard pressed to find better for
under $900.(MSRP).

Goodluck in whatever you end up with.

Post Number: 6
BB - your input has been invaluable. I was actually looking at spending upwards of $700-$800 on an Eclipse unit until I came across the 860/8600. This built-in mic and pink noise generator your refer to is part of the auto-eq system, right? I believe the 8600 has this, doesn't it? I'd prefer the 860, but am just afraid of frying the inputs on my Thunder amps. I'm NOT prepared to replace them at this time. Most of the time I listen casually at mid to low levels but on occasion I do like to turn it up. So how do you keep from blowing out your SoundStream inputs?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 66
I've never blown any but I get the impresion that the sound will get really dirty long before you blew them(if they'll even blow at all).
The Tech guy at SS told my that my SQ would be much higher with the 6.5 V outs and that I shound just take care to not yurn it up all the way. It would be hard to crank the Pioneer to full without some effert because the volume is slow(unlike the alpine). My soundstream amp has a 0~4 volt range and a switch to go to 4~12 volt range. It sound alot better at the low setting so thats were I leave it.

You'll need to check the Pioneer site to see if the 8600 has a mic and the Auto EQ( I find to die for).

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 210
Test the RCA outputs with a multimeter to check the voltage and turn the volume up (without speakers connected) until it reaches 5 volts. Set your amplifier gain for that volume setting and don't turn it up past that point.

Silver Member

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 211
*don't turn your HU volume up past that point. Sorry, that was kinda vague.

Post Number: 7
OHHHHHHHHH! Gotcha. Took me a couple days and a re-read, but I finally understand. Any idea what a good test signal would be? Like pink noise at a particular frequency?

Silver Member

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 221
pink noise would be good. Pink noise is basically randomly generated noise that puts the same power level into each octave band. It distributes power evenly across the sepctrum so you don't have "pink noise at a particular frequency" because its at every frequency. When you do this, make sure all eq effects or "loud" functions are turned off.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us