Noob amp suggestions

noobsystem
Unregistered guest
I need help picking out the right amp. I need an amp to power the Polk MMC6500 comp set and the Polk MM2124DVC 4ohm sub.

The MMC6500 are 125 watts RMS
and the MM2124DVC 4 ohm is 400 watts RMS

I would like one amp to power all the speakers. I have $450 to spend on one.

THanks for your help and time!

noobsystem
Unregistered guest
Anyone?

noobsystem
Unregistered guest
I read that 4 channel amps aren't very condusive to subwoofers, and tend to cut out when played at loud volumes for short periods of time.
With that in mind I have decided to get 2 amps, one for the sub and one for the component sets.

I was looking at an old SOundstream Reference 500 for the sub and an MTX 502 Thunder for the highs.

MTX 502: 90X2 @ 4 ohms
SOundstream Reference 500: 500X1 @ 2 ohms

Do I need a distribution block if I am running 2 amps? If so, what should I look at?

Also, how do I add a deep cycle battery to the mix so I don't damage my electrical system?

Thanks for your time and expertise!

Silver Member
Username: Thrushdtd

New York

Post Number: 223
you probly dont need a second battery for that amount of current draw from those amps. Any distribution block will work, go get one that is 4 guage two 2x8guage then have an 8 guage ground for each and a 4 guage wire from the battery. I like the mtx but have not really heard anything about Soundstream Reference.

noobsystem
Unregistered guest
Are all distribution blocks created equal? SHould I get one that is digital read out? Would 0 to 4 guage work good too, because I have already ordered a lot of Knukonceptz 4 guage wire.

I really appreciate the help!

Silver Member
Username: Thrushdtd

New York

Post Number: 231
it would work ok and leave room for upgrades. Digital readout would be cool and they are all about the same quality for what you are using them for so get whatever one you want but it is nice to have one that has good conections.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us