How big of a capacitor do i need?

Username: Morty346

Post Number: 1
Hey i have 2 1000rms audiobahn flame Q subs with a 2400watt max power boss amp... when i drive my head lights blink and my inside lights flicker, my battery gauge is always almost in the red with the subs on, i have a 95 camaro... im in the process of getting a capacitor, but how many farads do i need i heard 1 for every 500 watts but dam that be 4 farads then right? or would i go with the amp and only need 2.2 farads? i dont want to spend to much on this, can i get two 1 farad capacitors. or would i be better off getting one 2 farad capitor?

Thank you for your help
Greg

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3274
Greg you have a serious problem. So far you've been ignoring all the warning signs. Do not proceed as usual.
Very shortly, your starter battery will die, then your alternator and maybe even your car's internal electrical components.
Unless you have lot of money or 2nd car, don't push it.
To fix your current problem, you WILL NEED HO alternator, 200A or higher, alternator wire upgrades, maybe even your current amp power wire upgrade to a lower gauge, 2 or 0 gauge.
As for your question, it's 1F for every 1000w PEAK. Boss make terrible amps. Do not trust their numbers.
A capacitor will NOT do anything to solve your problem. Only after the alterntor upgrade, will it help a little.

Post Number: 2
little confused on what your telling me... cause at first i want to believe you on this, but then you had to go and say that boss makes terrible amps, but dude i have the loudest system in town, that amp kicks azz... and you startled me a little but im not sure if its very credible because your completly wrong on the boss amps

Silver Member
Username: Geekbike

Post Number: 175
No he isn't wrong. Boss has some of the most inflated numbers in the entire industry. Also, Isaac is one of the most knowledgable people who post here.

Silver Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 582
Truly.

Greg, have you even heard an amp made by more expensive manufacturers such as JL, Rockford Fosgate, or MTX, even?

Silver Member
Username: Msully701

Stratford, Connecticut US

Post Number: 173
if you have the best system in your "town" you must live in east bumble fu@k ill tank your system anyday with my KICKER amp, boss is garbage look around on sites that sell them there dirt cheap aka pieces of 5hit

Post Number: 3
honestly dont care what you say about boss... ive had 2 people ears start bleeding and i dont know how many blown ear drums from people either too close at a party or riding in my car with me... one of my friends has all audiobahn stuff... spent over 5,000 on the subs and amp alone, mine still kicks the sh*t out of his...
the post i made is to see what i need for my car... can i get a 2 farad capacitor and will it help any? can i upgrade the "big 3" i dont like spending extra money on stuff like an alt. i got quoted at 280 bucks for an HO 200A alt. i dont have that kind of money for that right now....

Bronze Member
Username: Dz43893

Chicago, Illinois United states

Post Number: 11
well i tried posting something but it wouldnt show up so ill put it here.
the 12w7 runs at 750rms and my 500/1 isnt giving it full potential with a cap give it extra bass or power

Silver Member

Post Number: 609
Doug, I answered your question in your new thread...

And since nobody has appeared to answer Greg, here's my advice to him: Get a new alt. Period. A cap will probably only damage your system and as Glasswolf has said, the big three is only useful if you get a new alt or if your old wires are deteriorating. In the long run the damage it will cost you will be shockingly more than 280 which could be used to prevent that all by buying a new alt.

Bronze Member
Username: Dualgoldix

Pasadena, MD U.S.

Post Number: 15
look!, you,ve never had ears bleeding so that whole post is probibly bullsh1t, which is probibly why i didnt read past the first line. I dont know any thing about boss so ill let the pros get on that but i do know I have a fully custom setup in the trunk of honda that would rock your sh1t and it contains 2 caps both of which are only wired to my sub and still cant see in the dark!!! so listen to warnings cause im working my second alt right now and going to buy a better one when this one dies. if you would like to see what im talkin about send e-mail requesting pics of a real setup. boooooom

DUALGOLDIX@YAHOO.COM

Post Number: 4
where can you get alts from?

Silver Member

Post Number: 627
www.4alterstart.com or I would suggest having Nathan custom build one for you: www.excessiveamperage.com

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 272
"one of my friends has all audiobahn stuff... spent over 5,000 on the subs and amp alone, mine still kicks the sh*t out of his..."

That part still cracks me up. That is by far the stupidest thing I have heard all day. Who the hell would spend $5,000 on Audiobahn CRAP???? OMG!!! You could put together a frickin huge system for that easily, including a very nice HU, not just an amp and subs like your "friend". And now you come along with a $200 amp and waste him??? C'mon dog, if you gonna lie, at least try to make it somewhat believable. And let's just face it and be real here, Boss is one of the worst car audio companies out their. So even if your system is "bleeding ear" loud, with a stellar combo of Audiobahn and Boss, it probably sounds like a cat in a metal garbage can rolling down a rocky hill. Save it Greg, no one here buys your lies.

MATTisPHAT
Unregistered guest
I think that cuspid is the worst amps you can buy so I think he might be one step up from the bottom of the amp list.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 7883
capacitors DO NOT HELP voltage rail issues.
get a larger alternator. period.

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Post Number: 1548
i whould get a HO alternator from www.excessiveamperage.com

talk to nathan and all your problems will be solved. Simple as That

Username: Fastnloud

Post Number: 1
GregM you are hilarious...Ears bleeding, Caps, Boss Audio, 1206Ts, Loudest System in Town...I cannot believe what I am reading, I hope you are kidding.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us