Kenwood KDC-X979

Unregistered guest
I have a Kenwood KDC-X979. The unit is no longer working. When I turn the ignition to run, the stereo does nothing.

I have tested the power feeds and ground. All is good.

I pulled out the head unit and disassembled part of it. I found that the PC board of the control panel has some corrosion and possible shorting, where the PC cable connect to the board. I cleaned up the cable and it is good on continuity tests.

I cleaned up the board the best that I can. It loosk alright and using test points, looks as if it is passing continuity tests as well.

Is it possible that something was damage on the display board?

Also, I tried www.kenwoodparts.com and I am unable to find the control board (J74-1590-02) or the display board (J74-1587-02). I was able to find both PC cables.

Silver Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 390
So, basically you're just looking for the board? Heh, kenwoodparts.com hasn't failed me, so I suppose the only alternative would be to take it to an authorized service center and see if they can get you the part...

Ehostler
Unregistered guest
Either the boards or a suggestion of what I may have over looked.

I'm guessing that the problem is in the ribbon connector on the control board (the one with the buttons on it).

I know how the problem occured. I've got a '96 Ram. For some stupid reason, they put the cup holder directly over the stereo. I normally don't use it, just for that reason.

I had a cup of water in there, the day that it failed. I first noted that I could turn down the volume with the face panel controls. I had to use the remote. Thats when I noticed a little bit of water on the panel.

So, the signs of corrosion and arcing are where the watter appear to have gotten on the ribbon connector.

So, I don't know if the problem is in that connector or if maybe it could have sent some voltage back up to the LCD display panel and burnt a chip in it.

As far as I can tell, I do not have an authorized Kenwood service center in Northern VA.

As far as the part numbers go, those are what I found on the boards. The numbers that were on the cable do show up in the database.

Silver Member

Post Number: 416
Maybe you can give me a more specific location of where the boards are located...one is the PCB for the display, and the other is the main PCB mounted under the CD mech? I might be able to get the part numbers for you from the service manual...

Ehostler
Unregistered guest
One board has the Large display on it. It also has several chips on it. That one claims to be J74-1587.

The other board is the one with the volume control, source button, preset buttons, etc on it. this one claims to be J74-1590-02. This is the board that the water got on.

Silver Member

Post Number: 421
I have a feeling that the unit is too new for kenwoodparts.com and also too new for me to find the service manual...I hate to say it, but you might have to take it to an authorized repair center...

Ehostler
Unregistered guest
I talked to a rep, at kenwoodparts.com, today. They said that Kenwood won't allow them to sell any of the boards. They said that I would actually have to send the unit to Kenwood and have them look at it.

I'm pretty sure that the problem is in the connector, on the faceplate. I just took it to a local repair shop. He's going to see what he can do with it.

If I had a fine tip soldering iron, I would do it myself. I've got everything else that I need at work. We just don't use the fine tip irons.

Thanks for your help.

Unregistered guest
i have just purchased a second hand kenwood kdc 7012 head unit it is a wicked unit with premo sound best ever. had it for a few weeks when suddenly i turned the key on one day and nothing checked all the feeds and earths , all good and because i m on the bottom end of new zealand and no service agents for thousands of k's so i opened it myself and found the multi-strand tape from the main board to the fold away face had gotten cracked and there was no continuity how would i be able to purchase another one ofn these and where please advise i really would like to keep this stereo

Silver Member

Post Number: 694
http://www.kenwoodparts.com would be the best first place to check.

Unregistered guest
OK, I finally got mine fixed. It was the connector on the board with the buttons on it. He was able to get them cleaned and all is good again.

Unregistered guest
hey, I have a kenwood kdc-7012 and i think my speakers are to large for the unit. When i turn the volume up slightly (25-30) the units illumination fades with the base beats and when a little more volume is added it simply shuts down for a second. This isnt nearly at full blast or anything and i would like more volume from my unit, any advice will be greatly appreciated, cheers eddy

Silver Member
Username: Tbolt

Collipark, GA

Post Number: 187
You need a small amp.

eddy666
Unregistered guest
how small are you talking, the speakers are 200watts sony

Unregistered guest
hey, now the hu has just shut down alltogether with the face plate still out. Has the hu blown up or what?? I just got an Amp for it and was gonna put it in tommorrow. I checked all the fuses and they all seem good and i even replaced them anyway but still its completely dead. has anyone got any idea, please tell me its not shagged anybody PPPLLLEEEAAASSSEEE HHHEEELLLPPP.

Bronze Member
Username: Ehostler

VA

Post Number: 20
If all of the fuses are good (to include the one in the back of the HU), then I would say that you blew something in the HU.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us