Grounding question?

Unregistered guest
I'm getting a whine through the speakers when the car is running...I'm pretty sure I have a good ground (free of dirt & paint) and I have the power, rca's & speakers wires running all aprt from each other.....(2) questions??...is it possible to ground TO CLOSE to the amp (my ground lead is 6")...and if it's not that is there any bad places (within the vehicle itself, not the doors) mount the crossovers for the components?

I need to get rid of this noise and can't for the life of my figure out where it's coming from.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 1359
not can't really be too close.
your bad ground may be the head unit's.
also be sure power and signal are separate, more than signal and speaker lines.

kklagge
Unregistered guest
I've redone the whole system and am still getting the "whine"!! I've checked all the wiring numerous times and can't figure out what's causing it (I had this system in my F150 and had no noise whatsoever....is it possible that a Xterra has some sort of grounding problem I may not know about?)...The amp ground is good, the rca's are on the other side of the vehicle from the power....I used a wiring harness and connected the ground from the head unit to the ground on the harness....what else can I try?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1393
ground the head unit to chassis ground, not the harness ground.
the harness may use a floating ground, or may be a very long wire (15+ft) running next to the power wires which is common in car wiring harnesses.

Username: Tbone

Post Number: 9
Just for kicks, make sure that the negitive Battery cable is tightened down.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1406
actually along those lines, make sure both terminals are clean, with good solid connections.

coca-cola cleans battery terminals very well. the acid in the soda cleans the build-up right off of the terminals.

Anonymous

The acid in Coke will clean off the terminals? Even if the terminals are covered in acid bluid-up? How can an acid neutralize an acid? You could just buy a can of battery terminal cleaner for $2 and not be left with a sticky battery.

Anonymous

Then when its clean, apply a coat of clear enamel to protect it from anymore chemical reactions in the future.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1427
coke works.
try it some time.

Username: Snakebait

Post Number: 1
I had the same problem, except mine was as a result of my amp inputs. I think what must have happened is the interconnects got kicked a few too many times with an underseat amp installation and the ground portion of the plug wasn't making proper contact. Try fiddling with the plug a bit and see if it helps.

kklagge
Unregistered guest
Fixed the problem last week....just turned the gains down to about 1/3 (instead of 1/2) and not it's quiet as a church mouse.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us