Box Builders Attention!

Silver Member
Username: W00b

Post Number: 117
Hey everyone, I'm looking for someone who would be able to build me a ported box for about $110 shipped. reply to this post if you think you can do that =)

Silver Member

Post Number: 118
so nobody on this forum builds boxes anymore?

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 3069
where do you live?

Silver Member

Post Number: 119
i live in lee's summit,mo

Gold Member

Post Number: 3071
how bid of a box do you want?

Silver Member

Post Number: 120
oh you know.. the size of a house.. nah just kidding.. its for my XXX12.. im now debating whether it should be sealed or ported, all i have ever heard is sealed so im kind of leaning towards a sealed box that fits RE's specifications on their website.

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1924
ill do it for 130 shipped, but i would do a ported enclosure.

Silver Member

Post Number: 121
ported.. tuned to what?

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1928

Silver Member

Post Number: 122
that will give me good SQ then?

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1929
that box is made for sql, so yes good sq.

Silver Member

Post Number: 123
ok, sounds like a deal.. do you have AIM or e-mail or an alternate method of contact?

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1931
hunterw86@yahoo.com

Silver Member
Username: Shadylimitedx

Pgh, Pa Usa

Post Number: 257
i build them

Gold Member

Post Number: 3083
id build build it for you dustin but now isnt a good time for that. Ill speak for hunter's offer though he does good work from what ive seen of his personal box for the avalanch he has.

Silver Member

Post Number: 125
ok, thanks anyways sean.. i e-mailed hunter and waiting for a reply. =)

Silver Member

Post Number: 127
so uh, nobody would go with the RE XXX12 in a sealed enclosure then if they had the choice?

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1963
i wouldnt. it was meant to be ported.

Silver Member

Post Number: 128
oh hunter, i sent you a second email, dunno if you got it already but just telling you

Silver Member

Post Number: 129
btw.. will this sound good for rock too? ported at 35Hz

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 167
I build boxes, but I couldn'd build you one for less than $800, and you would have to pick it up.

Silver Member

Post Number: 130
jesus!!

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 168
If someone offered me a ported speaker box for $110 (ready to ship), I would ask "what's wrong with it?"

For a 55-60 liter box (2 cu ft) it costs about $400 just for the materials. I am talking about quality, not $1 speaker terminal cups and wal-mart wire. For a quality built box, I wouldn't use less than 1" MDF. Quality stuffing costs almost as much as the wood, sometimes even more.

Building 1/2" or 3/4" (wall thickness) boxes for loudness isn't quality.

Silver Member

Post Number: 131
ok, as most people have stated on this forum before, wire is wire. even if its from walmart, it has certain standards to follow. speaker terminals.. i haven't seen a pair of speaker terminals that are over what, $5? and no, they weren't clamp terminals. stuffing i don't know, and 3/4" boxes aren't always built for loudness. $800 for a box is outrageous. if you had to be a salesmen, you should probably work for powered4sound, they are known as overchargers. jesus man.. paying more for a box than the sub itself.

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 169
Wall-mart sells jeans for about $14. You can get a pair of quality built jeans, elsewhere, for $60.

"Price is only a concern in the absence of value".

Silver Member

Post Number: 132
this is wire we are talking about.. 0ga wire is 0ga wire, it's something called a STANDARD. you can slap a brand name on it and sell it for more, but thats just about it.. or maybe you can choose a slightly different conductive material to make the wire out of (even though it would make what, 0.001% difference in the overall sound? it's also been discussed on this forum before.) and let me tell you, i've bought shirts from wal-mart, i've bought shirts from hollister.. that small difference still holds true. they made it slightly thicker, or out of different material, and slapped a brand name on it and said hey, pay more! just like powered4sound, they are selling boxes people can build for about $100-$150 for what, $350? that's what i payed for my amp, no way.

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 391
Mixneffect, so you would get the materials for $400 and then charge $400 more just to put the box together? That does sound pretty outrageous. As for the speaker wire, how much wire do you actaully use inside the box, for ONE sub? 5-7 feet at the most. Most people don't wire a sub with 0 gauge wiring. I am just curious as to how many boxes you have sold?

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 170
Cables, and wires can get pricy.

http://www.kimber.com/Products/LoudSpeakerCables/default.aspx

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 394
I couldn't find pricing on that site. But really, a cable is a cable. They might add some braided sheilding or whatnot, but I doesn't justify an outrageous price.

Silver Member
Username: Geekbike

Post Number: 262
Dustin, I don't quite agree with what you are saying. A $2 wire is much different than a $15 wire, but the $15 wire has very little difference from a $300 wire. Things like magnetic shielding and quality RCA ends are tings not found in $2 wire.

The P4S boxes are extremly high quality boxes using a design that has very good results and the fact that a vast majority of people cannot design higher order enclosures if any at all, make them worth the money to some people. You can get audiophile quality without months and years of experiance and research. I wouldn't pay for them, but a rich kid with no desire to learn would. Can't blame them for making money.

I agree that $800 is a bit high, but nothing extraordinary. The last enclosure I designed would have came to about $300 for materials. I'm wondering what kind of stuffing you're using?

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 171
pillow stuffing from Hancock fabrics....... lol

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1967
well the last box i made was appraised at 600, and it took no more then 60-70. but wire is different. it has everything to do with the thread count. some 4 guage wire may say its 4 gauge but it will have a smaller thread count then a more exspensive wire. 800 is a lot, but if it was for a tl(which i cant do) or a ss box, or just something complicated then i could see charging a lot. and here i cant get my hands on 1 inch mdf, or i would.

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1968
pillow stuffing from big lots! big lots is gangster.

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 172
Thanks Hunter. Sometimes I need a good laugh. It seems the more you try to help, the stupider people make you out to be. I guess if you tried to help out a novice on how to choose a system, and you were able to get them to understand page 1 or level 1 of audio, they seem to think thats all there is to it. But when you try to give them a boost to the next level, they somehow become experienced journeymen on the spot and try to give you pointers. I guess with some people it takes a decade or two, just to get off the fence, and once they re off the fence they think they re at the finish line.

Don't get me wrong people. I have built many cheesecake (affordable) boxes. They sell like "Kryspy Kreme". But after the sugar wears off, you re still hungry. What a joke. Thats what I am talking about. You learn from your mistakes, if you want to.

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 173
Dustin,

I appologize if my estimate made you feel that I wanted to take your money forcefully. I just wanted to warn you. There are alot of junk out there for low prices. IMO, a subwoofer box that costs $110 shipper-ready, sounds cheap in all aspects. It's your money, your system, and your choice.

Good Luck!

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 176
this is a $110 box.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/lostbmx/trunk-bad.jpg

Silver Member
Username: Alpineuser

Winchester, TN

Post Number: 636
did someone p1ss on those subs and let it dry?

Bronze Member
Username: Big_oso

Post Number: 21
who makes quality boxes for audiobahn natural excursion 12s i know i know their audiobahn but unfortunately i bought two of them so im stuck anyways who can build a clamshell like box or a double shot for these subs and how much would you charge me

Bronze Member
Username: Shutterleftopen

Columbus, Ohio United states

Post Number: 75
hahah. you used my box. understandable. the box i'm using right now is horrible. and if that costs $110 then i would suggest saving some money and getting a good box.

Bronze Member
Username: Shutterleftopen

Columbus, Ohio United states

Post Number: 76
no. no one urined on the subs. when my friend bought them the centercaps blew out. so he put epoxy on them.

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1969
Upload

well that is a pic of my 110 dollar box for my sub. i should have took more during the build but i couldnt. and mixn, was that a shot at me?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us