AMPLIFER SEARCH for set of components & single 12

Username: Steveo

Post Number: 1
Need the sharp gentlemen to help OLD-SKOO here...

What is the best price/value $180 - $260 range Class D amplifier or amplifiers to run a set of components and single 2 OHM 12" CompVR in a 96' Acura Integra? The specifics are:

--Alpine CDA 9807 CD MP3 Player (24Watt X4 RMS) 3 4VOLT Preouts SUB ctrl
--Optional 300Watt (75X4) Crossfire CFA354 Amp (considering $ell 99+ship).
--Single Kicker CompVR (CVR) 12" (400Watt RMS) Dual Voice Coil 2 OHM stable sub
--Single set of CDT CL-61a 6.5" component set (75-125Watt RMS)
--All applicable wiring (8 gauge) and RCAs
--Future 6.5 for rear (cheap ones possibly off deck because I like the dynamics of 4mids)

I'm thinking maybe only one amp that will bridge to the 12" at a 2 OHM load and also handle the components at their 4? OHM load? Clueless realy, it used to be so easy...

Amp brands that interest me are JL Audio, Orion, Crossfire, Kicker, RF, Soundstream, JBL, and PPI.

Any help is greatly appreciated -- take care,
SteveO

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 1437
ok firstly, you can't use a class-D amp to run anything but subs. They all have built in )forced) low-pass filters for this reason.
Class-D only reproduce low frequencies well, and have terribly poor sound quality at higher frequencies, so stick to class D for subs, and class AB for components.

look at the Kicker KX800.4
100Wx4.
bridge the back 2 channels and give the sub 400W
then the front two channels will do the components.
the amp runs about $250-270

Gold Member

Post Number: 1438
by the way
use CDT for rear fill as well.
you can run them on the same two amp channels @ 2 Ohms if desired, or off the head unit for rear fill.
use 4AWG for this amplifier.. you'll want the added current flow for it.

Post Number: 2
Thanks GlassWolf!

Is the KX800.4 400Watts RMS? If I used your setup here, would the 12" have 200Watts RMS and 200Watt RMS to the 1 set of CDTs? What do you think of the setup that I have going so far?

Will the Kicker KX800.4 handle a 2ohm load bridged to the Kicker 12"? If so, will the CDTs run at 2ohm load also? Seems like the CDTs should be run at a 4ohm load and the Kicker at 2ohm? Or does the amp need to be either 2 or 4 ohm for both? How about a three ch amp?

Would it be a good idea to just get a seperate class D amp for the sub and run the crossfire I have to the highs? Would this be any advantage/disadvantage? My previous system (stolen) had a crossfire 400S (100X4), that was running JL XR 6.5 components and two JL 12WOs, while underpowered, it sounded great.

I am buying a new battery, but due to this forum passing on the compacitor. Any advice on battery's?

Thanks again,
SteveO

Silver Member
Username: Hydro

Post Number: 141
The 800.4 is 800 watts RMS and he is saying bridge 2 channels on the amp and those 2 channels when bridged will put out 400 watts to your sub and use the other 2 channels for your CDT Components.If Kicker Cvr Sub is Dual 2 ohm wire it in parallel so the amp will see a 4 ohm load.If you wire the CDT's in 2 ohm that amp will put 200 watts to each channel and I dont think you would wanna do that.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1464
KX800.4 is 100W x 4 @ 4 Ohms
thus bridging the rear two channels mono, @ 4 Ohms, would give you 400Wrms to one channel, and 100W x 2 @ 4 Ohms, or 200W x 2 # 2 Ohms with the front two channels.
that's a good balance for one sub and two or four components.
100W per component, 400 for the sub

bridged, amps are only 4 Ohm stable, since they'll then see half of the actual load.
the compoennts will give a 4 Ohm load.
If you wire front and rear speakers together so that each amp channel has two (sets of) speakers, then you'll get two Ohms stereo there. that'd mean 100W per speaker (set if they are separates)

battery will only help if the engine is off.
when the motor is running you need a high output alternator if the stock one isn't sufficient.

Post Number: 3
Damn... you guy's are all over-it, great forum -- many thanks!

That said, Kicker 800.4 it is. I have a lead on a slightly used one for $200 even. I will keep you posted on how everything turns out. IF YOU SEE THIS AMP FOR CHEAP PLEASE LET ME KNOW (smervau@hotmail.com) or reply.

?????, CA USA

Post Number: 4
Purchased 800.4 on ebay for $205.00 to the door. Not a bad price on such short notice.

I'm sure this will work well with the CDT 6.5 CL-61a and single RF 12"CVR. I'm looking for a clean tight sound that will make the mirrors dance upon demand. Hope this works out for me.

I also took GlassWolfs advise and ditched the 8 gauge for some beef 4 gauge amp kit. One website called for 2 gauge, but I have never been a beleiver in over-sized wiring - can't afford it.

-Thanks Gentlemen-

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1486
www.knukonceptz.com
great site for power cable and interconnects.

for recommended power cable sizing based on current draw:
http://www.the12volt.com/info/recwirsz.asp

remember, that's based on the current draw for how your amp is wired.
in your case, 400W+200W for one sub and one set of CDTs. so 600Wrms.

Bronze Member

?????, CA USA

Post Number: 11
Glass and Hydro - the Kicker 800.4 is HUGE. I think this amp will do a good job - Thanks so much for suggesting this amp.

I will let you know how well it works upon install.

Bronze Member

?????, CA USA

Post Number: 13
New system coming together...
-Kicker 800.4 amp
-Kicker CompVR 12" sub
-Set of CDT CL-61a 6.5" components
-4 gauge pwr wire
-RCAs
-(Alpine 9813 on its way)

QUESTION:

If I buy a set of CDTs for rear fill, can I run the sub and both sets of components at 2ohm? Or would the sub continue to be 4ohm and the CDTs to 2ohm hence a 100W to each component speaker and 400W to sub? More specifically can the amp run at different ohm loads on the chnls? Or must the amp be run completely at 2ohm, or completely at 4ohm. With my setup (+ a set of CDT Mids), can I run everyting including sub at 2ohm? Am I looking to far into this 2ohm thing?

As always, any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
SteveO

KICKERCDT

Bronze Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 19
Yes, you're fine. It will be fine with 2 ch at 2 ohms stereo and the other 2 bridged to 4 ohms. Electrically 4 ohms mono and 2 ohms stereo is the same load on the amp anyway.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us