Is Sony 222W enough for me?

Username: Dirtydognz

Post Number: 2
hi guys i am looking for a reaaaaly cheap solution to add a bit more bass to my car i have a sony 52x4 cdplayer with a seprate control for sub out, anyways
please help me understand the diffrence between Max Power Output and Rated Power Output , is Max Power Output just a fake rating or does it count for something

This AMP i bought has
Rated Output Power (@4ohms) 35Wx2 or 80Wx1
Max Power Output (@4ohms) 90Wx2 or 222Wx1
Signal to Noise Ratio 100dB
Frequency Response 5Hz-80kHz

will this be enough to run a 12 inch sub or a 10 inch to give me a bit of bass , i can upgrade in future , what do u guys suggest beware i am looking for a cheap solution?

Silver Member
Username: Tbone

OK United States

Post Number: 190
Yeah, the max power rating is not a realistic number, and you should compare amps, or all audio gear, using the continuous power rating. Now, that is not a lot of power, but if you bridge it for the 80x1 power, you could put it on a small sensitive, less power needed, sub for some low end. With little power, you need to compare sensitivity rating for prospective subs, which generally have smaller magnets, so you can maximize the power you have. I think I would check out 10 inch subs with the limited power, and maybe check some bazooka tubes.

Username: Dirtydognz

Post Number: 3
what happens if i put a big sub on this small amp say a 12inch 1000watt sub, i know it will be underpowerd , but will i get a better effect from a 10 inch?

Silver Member
Username: Tbone

OK United States

Post Number: 195
In this case yes, a small high sensitivity sub would give better lows, because you don't have enough power to benefit from the high excursion of the 1000 watt sub. Is the 1000 watt rating a peak rating or a RMS rating? Now, if you had a larger amp, that would drive the larger sub, I would steer you in that direction, but with the low power you have available, I would stick with the high sensitivity sub at this point.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us