My friend needs a new sub

Silver Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 203
my friend needs a new sub, he already has a amp, its a mtx 421d or somthing like that. his old system was 2 volfenags but he doesn't enough room to make them sound good. so he wants a single 12 or 15 that doesn't need a lot of room but still gets loud.his budget is 200-350 dollars.

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1817
what kinda of watts at what ohms

Silver Member

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 204
here is the amp he has http://www.woofersetc.com/product.asp?0=362&1=363&3=2167

Silver Member
Username: Sploosh56

Ohio

Post Number: 644
could try a 12" kicker comp vr in a ported box

Silver Member

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 205
ya i told him about kicker cvr's but he says he wants somthing different cause every1 around here has kicker.

Silver Member

Ohio

Post Number: 645
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18803%26item%3D5780754542 %26

what about that?

Silver Member

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 207
i'll talk to him and see. any other suggestions.

Silver Member

Ohio

Post Number: 648
you could always try out one of the new JL Audio W1's

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 151
if you want bang for the buck... i've seen
adire shivas (etc.)
&
precision power
get mentioned alot. there was another budget aluminum coned woofer that got high reviews, but i can't remember what it's called. it MIGHT have hade "phase" in it's title.

Silver Member

Post Number: 152
oh... i found the other sub maker's name...
elemental design.

if your friend wants high quality subs that no-one else has... these three brands get alot of raves. read up on them to see what people are saying about them.

Silver Member

Post Number: 153
you know what the hardest info to find out online is... what ANYONE'S IASCA winning system is! LOL

i tried every keyword combo i could think of and even tried asking jeeves. all one can find is rules or results by name, but the actual systems themselves are top secret apparently.

Silver Member
Username: Alpineuser

Winchester, TN

Post Number: 496
stay away from elemental designs. they are not great subs they have horrible build quality

Silver Member

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 214
ok take the jl's off the list, everyone has a lot of jl lower lines around here. where is a website for that adire shiva's, and precision power subs.

Silver Member

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 215
bump

Silver Member

Ohio

Post Number: 657
try them adire's out. he'll like them

Silver Member

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 218
ok, but i need a website that has all the specs of the shiva's, or a website that sells them.

Silver Member

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 222
come on someone has to know of a website that sells the adire shiva's.

Silver Member

Post Number: 154
you don't know how to use a search engine?

i just went to dogpile and entered:
adire home page
and
http://www.adireaudio.com/

showed up as item #4.

i can't say have any experience with any subwoofer other than the generic 12" that i decided to install in my home cabinet the day before yesterday, but i've heard good things about elemental design from a couple of seperate sources. THAT was the upgrade that i had considered for myself after some research as i liked that the E.D. woofer had a cast basket while the cheaper adires have stamped steel baskets. one can easily get a 4 ohm "hi-fi" (as in home audio) woofer with a cast basket for as little as $50, so i was put off by an adire with stamped steel going for $150 or so. looks are important to me.

as to precision power... i read a magazine review for one of their subs somewhere that was a flat out rave saying that it was the best that the reviewer ever heard or measured.

definately double check ANY info anyone gives you yourself.

a couple other sub brands that i've heard mentioned in "value without b.s." threads here and there are the image dynamics' idmax and digital designs (DD) which both held there own against JL and rockford fostgate aluminum woofers in a four way 10" shootout in the current issue of "car audio" each woofer had a final score of either 64 or 65 out of 80 and excelled in different areas.

i liked the DD woofer the best as the entire "cone" is a single carbon fiber dome with the standard "oversized surround" and a simple staggered DD logo (just like the DD in daredevil LOL). it definately looked trick though. i don't remember it kicking butt in any one category, but it was within 1 point of the top 2 scores overall.

the problem i was having with my generic 12" was that i was running it upside down into my cabinet and the 4 piece cardboard gasket (common with cheaper stamped steel woofers) wasn't sealing air tight. when i installed it and sealed it with a "blu tack" gasket... my bass tightened up alot.

it isn't competition grade... but it's good enough for me.

if you want to find out more about any of these other new brands, use a search engine and/or look for editorial reviews right here at ecoustic's own search engine. just click on the first category... editorial reviews. it's also good to just browse reviews to see what's good and what isn't and to find which woofer suits your specic needs.

are you looking for
sound quality (SQ)
the loudest woofer (SPL)
or
the deepest bass
etc.?

JL audio gets alot of favorable reviews... but they're way overpriced while many other brands can be just as good for less.

earthquake is another brand that i've seen get great reviews. there's more homework for you.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us