Question about ohms, please help...

Bronze Member
Username: Justinw303

Mobile, AL U.S.A.

Post Number: 14
I'm very new to the car audio scene, and I have a question. I just called a guy at a car audio place and asked him a question, and his response brought up this question.

Alright, let's say I have two 4 ohm subs (50-200 rms). I also have a 2 channel amp. Here are the specs:

200 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms
300 watts RMS x 2 at 2 ohms
600 watts RMS x 1 bridged output at 4 ohms
4-ohm stable in bridged mode

Now, I asked the guy if I could run one sub per channel, seeing as I have 2 subs and a 2 channel amp. Well, he said I would have to run it in bridged mode.

This is where I get confused. He said that since the subs were 4 ohms, it would be running 300 watts to each sub at 2 ohms.

So, does this mean when you bridge an amp with 2 subs you take the ohm rating of the subs and half it to know how many ohms the amp will encounter?

Also, How come he said I could bridge the 2 subs on the amp, and when I look at the specs on the amp the only time it mentions bridging is when it says 600 watts RMS x 1 bridged output at 4 ohms. So, what's up?

And the lowest number of ohms the amp can handle bridged (according to the specs) is 4, so how could I do what he told me to do?

I would really appreciate some help with this. I'm trying to learn as much as I can.

I realize the equipment is cheap, but please bear in mind that I'm a novice.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3347
Do not bridge those subs to that amp. first of all you are gonna yield a 2ohm load in bridged mode which your amp cant handle, second even if you could get a 4ohm load 600 watts is too much for those subs. do what you thought first run them stereo at 4ohms. by stereo I mean 1 sub on the right channel and one on the left this will give you 200 by 2. whatt is your equipment anyway if you dont mind me asking?

Bronze Member
Username: Justinw303

Mobile, AL U.S.A.

Post Number: 15
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ukezwkOXeWl/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=110&id=essential _info&i=489AP1200

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ukezwkOXeWl/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?I=023TSW1200

I don't think I'm going to get those subs though. I want them, but everyone I ask about them tells me to get something else. I don't want anything real loud, just something that looks good and plays clean, deep enough bass in a sealed box to fill out the low end in my single cab truck.

So anyway, it would be alright to run one sub per channel and get exactly 200 watts rms to each sub? And it would still be at 4 ohms?

Then why did the guy tell me to bridge it, and why when I use this site:

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/wiringwizard.asp

it tells me the same thing?

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3352
I would not get either one of those personally. what is your budget I will help you find something better.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us